NFHS rule on coach attire

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
Any umpires ever restrict a coach to the dugout in a high school game for not being in adherence to the NFHS rule regarding appropriate clothing? Rule states that the coach can wear pants, shorts or other leg coverings as long as they are school colors or black, white, grey or khaki.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Haven't had to as it hasn't come up this year. In the past when it came up, I addressed it early in the season with the AD in an email. Just one of those things that as an umpire I really don't want to poke the bear while on the field right before a game.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Haven't had to as it hasn't come up this year. In the past when it came up, I addressed it early in the season with the AD in an email. Just one of those things that as an umpire I really don't want to poke the bear while on the field right before a game.

Just curious, but what was the specific infraction?

Feb 25, 2018
Hypothetically, if at the plate meeting the coach had on a pair of plaid shorts, not school colors, would you ask them to correct it or let it slide?

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Just curious, but what was the specific infraction?
It was an AC who ended up in the coach's box wearing jeans.

Hypothetically, if at the plate meeting the coach had on a pair of plaid shorts, not school colors, would you ask them to correct it or let it slide?

Technically, at the plate meeting, they aren't in violation of the rule. Nor are they in violation if they remain in the dug-out. This is one of those rules that in order to prevent someth9ing happening, you have to assume what they coach intends to do. I would take the HC aside and quietly tell him/her that the attire is not appropriate, that I would appreciate it if it could be fixed, but am not going to do anything about it THIS TIME unless the other team makes a deal about it. Then follow up with the AD the next day.

I barely know Prada from UnderArmor, please don't make me the fashion police.

Jan 25, 2022
A buddy warned me two years ago that he got into it with an umpire over jeans the season before, and it's become the running joke around here. Umps bust coaches for it all the time. Our HS coach AND his assistant had to coach entirely from the dugout in one game last year. He wore jeans, and she had on leggings. The jeans, he knew better. Said he didn't think anyone would really care because it was so cold out. The leggings though...that one was dumb. The assistant pointed out the opposing coach had on sweats, and was told her leggings weren't up to the guidelines because they didn't have pockets. Really???

Meanwhile, I've been on the field many a time wearing camo cargo shorts. It's cargo shorts or track pants for me. We played a team last year whose coach had on jeans. We watched with great anticipation to see if the umps would notice. 10 minutes later, the game started and he was sitting on a bucket in the dugout. This year, same team, different coach, and he's fine to be on the field in carhartt khaki pants and work boots.

Feb 25, 2018
I’m not yet in a “get off my lawn” mind set, but I do think coaches should be properly attired.
For me, that’s no jeans, tacky shorts, etc. I’m not expecting Tom Landry fashion sense, but some folks look like they just grabbed something out of the dirty laundry basket.

That said, I don’t want to be the one to enforce the rule and thankfully haven’t had to yet.

I might have a coach next week that I need to pull aside and make them aware of the rule.

Nov 1, 2013
In the Pacific NW due to the rainy Spring weather and the coaches also are the "grounds crew" we have been told to be very slack about that specific rule. If they need to wear jeans, let it be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma