Upcoming NFHS 2022 Rule Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015

Doesn't look like anything earth-shattering. The major focus is on allowing beads/hard hair items and religious head coverings will no longer need prior approval from the state org. These have also been major points when discussing cultural inclusion in all sports (not just softball).

In other equipment changes:

• There will be a change in ball manufacturing specs starting in 2025.
  • Continuing to use a damaged bat after being instructed to remove it will result in the batter being called out and the head coach receiving a bench restriction for the game.
  • "Detachable" bases may now be used for safety.
  • Reworking of acceptable coach's attire (no details in the article though)
  • Administrative language cleanup in the rule regarding a pitcher wearing distracting items.

In what looks to be the only actual "playing" rule change, RLI will now be determined with the runner's foot on the ground (not in the air, as some umpires apparently interpreted that).

Over on the baseball side, preventing coaches sitting on buckets outside the dugout will be a Point of Emphasis. I encourage softball umpires to do this too!

Feb 13, 2021
MI
In what looks to be the only actual "playing" rule change, RLI will now be determined with the runner's foot on the ground (not in the air, as some umpires apparently interpreted that).

Finally! Now, if either foot last contacts the ground completely outside the running lane, the BR is outside the RL until/unless that foot is re-established as in the RL (contacts the line/lands inside the RL).

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It also appears that "assisting a runner" is a point of emphasis. Hopefully they make it clear that a high five while rounding the bases or a couple teammates patting them on the back before they touch home plate is not assisting so that stops being called an out.

May 29, 2015
It also appears that "assisting a runner" is a point of emphasis. Hopefully they make it clear that a high five while rounding the bases or a couple teammates patting them on the back before they touch home plate is not assisting so that stops being called an out.

Thank you @CoachJD ... I haven't seen the softball POEs yet!

While I fully agree that people interpreting that rule that way is ignorant, I would still encourage teams to "stay back" until the runner touches home plate. If people start crowding in, I'm likely to not see the runner touch home!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

While I fully agree that people interpreting that rule that way is ignorant, I would still encourage teams to "stay back" until the runner touches home plate. If people start crowding in, I'm likely to not see the runner touch home!

That's fair! The big one for me is a coach giving a high five/pat on the back as the player rounds the bag more than teammates being in the way (which I agree can be a problem). Anyway, found the POEs here: https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/softball-rules-changes-2022/

It doesn't go into detail though. I have no idea what "Guidance for Pitcher Utilization" is supposed to mean.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Hmmm :unsure:
since batters can be walked without having to actually throw 4-balls. (right thats a thing?)
Just say
Put them on, Take the base.

Lol
Why then does a batter who hits a home run have to go and touch the bases?!
Maybe that should change and save that running time for more other game playing time...

Snarky weisenheimer moment :cool:

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
MI
The umpires who have been calling interference against a coach or teammates who give a "high-five" or pat on the back to a runner during a home run have been sorely lacking in their rules knowledge. The reason I say this is that those umpires have only been applying part of the rules code. Coaches interference can only occur during a live ball situation. Once a home run departs the field of play it is a dead ball and all runners/batter runner are awarded home. QED: A coach cannot interfere with a runner or batter runner during a dead ball.

((This brings up a question however: Let's suppose that the batter runner clearly misses third base as she is rounding the bases during the awarded home run and the coach pats her on the back to get her attention and informs her she needs to return to third to touch the base prior to proceeding to the plate. What is the call?))

As for pitcher utilization, I have no confirmed information so take this as simple conjecture: Might pitch counts be coming to HS softball?

May 29, 2015
That's fair! The big one for me is a coach giving a high five/pat on the back as the player rounds the bag more than teammates being in the way (which I agree can be a problem). Anyway, found the POEs here: https://www.nfhs.org/sports-resource-content/softball-rules-changes-2022/

It doesn't go into detail though. I have no idea what "Guidance for Pitcher Utilization" is supposed to mean.

Thank you again! That was posted the next day and does have some more detail in it ... but still not all of it!

I LOVE that huddles are going to be an official POE (although it has been in my area for a few years).

Not sure about that Guidance for Pitcher Utilization ...

The one I am most curious about is the one that least affects me ... the coach's attire. :unsure:

May 29, 2015
Hmmm :unsure:
since batters can be walked without having to actually throw 4-balls. (right thats a thing?)
Just say
Put them on, Take the base.

Lol
Why then does a batter who hits a home run have to go and touch the bases?!
Maybe that should change and save that nning time for more game playing time...

Snarky weisenheimer moment :cool:

Some slow-pitch orgs do that ... but I think it's more because a trip around the bases might kill some of those guys.

Note: USA Softball does NOT allow the automatic award. You do still have to throw four pitches.

... and I am going to have to eventually tell my story about the baseball game that went awry a few weeks ago as it involves a scorekeeper and a brilliant intentional walk as some of its subplots.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Thank you again! That was posted the next day and does have some more detail in it ... but still not all of it!

I LOVE that huddles are going to be an official POE (although it has been in my area for a few years).

Not sure about that Guidance for Pitcher Utilization ...

The one I am most curious about is the one that least affects me ... the coach's attire. :unsure:

I'm curious about that, too, because I don't like people telling me how to dress. :)

Have you as an umpire ever even paid any attention to the coach's attire? Has it ever come up in any games you've worked?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802