Next pitch to work on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2011
My daughter is 14. Good on fastballs. OK on changeup. Now need a 3rd pitch to really work on this fall/winter. What do you suggest?

I was thinking Peel drop or rollover but my daughter isn't crazy fast and a lot of batters are up in the box on her so I'm not sure how effective the drop would be.

She has worked on a screwball and riseball (with her pitching coach) the last 2 or 3 years but I haven't seen any movement out of them so I was hoping to narrow things down more and really get something working right.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
You have to master the change up. Because she is not blazing fast, a drop ball is not a bad option. If you can get her to throw a peel drop that is slower than FB and faster than CU, you would be very effective.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Now is the time to work on something that moves, some type of drop
should be the easiest to master. If DD is more of a finesse pitcher
than power pitcher, I would stay away from the rise. My experience is
that the rise is effective in the mid 50's and up. As far as FB, she needs to
hit her spots with precision as a missed location can turn out bad for the defense.
i.e. she wants to bust one low and outside and it hangs closer to the middle =HR

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
2 or 3 years working on 2 movement pitches and NO MOVEMENT YET?

If your car didnt run and you took it to a mechanic and he said he could get it running again, but it will take a year. What would you do?

May 29, 2011
I know what you mean halskinner....I finally switched pitching coaches this summer. I hated to do it during the summer but she still couldn't throw a changeup effectively after I had been on him for a year and a half. The new coach has helped a ton.

Now onto the other pitches so it sounds like a peel drop? The new pitching coach likes the rollover but it seems more difficult to throw...is that right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1