New to softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
sluggers has summed it up beautifully.

Teens can be tricky though, and they do not come with directions. Let her drive the process as much as you can in terms of the whys and how muchs of practice time. Going to travel directly, is sort of like going in to the deep end of the pool, but I think focusing on fundamentals and lots of reps should help her get up to speed.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
This is where you advise your SDD to smile and nod while you teach her the basics on the side. The best you can do with her is take the time outside of practice and do drills over and over. Another thing SHE can do is tennis ball on side of house/garage door/etc...throw ball to the wall and learn to catch with bare hands (and using fielding mechanics like hand over ball in glove).

Once she does the drills and practices solo frequently, she will be more confident in practice AND she will smile/nod more often. :)

As far as positions go, let them move her around...she will probably adapt to the position she loves most. Once she figures out what she likes, she will work hard for it.

Good luck, have fun and enjoy this time...it goes fast!!

As my DH would say, "It's a game...have fun dammit!" :)

Jun 7, 2013
There are few things better in this world than playing pitch and catch with your child.
Times 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There have been numerous times that I have been catching for one (or both) of my DDs while they were pitching and I've looked around and have seen what a beautiful day it was. And I asked myself, "Is this heaven?". Then a voice says, "No, its Iowa."

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I really would not put her into a competitive softball situation, yet. There is so much she doesn't know - like, how to catch the ball. Play catch with her this winter, get her some hitting lessons, work on her overhand throw and have fun.

Is dad going to pay for this? I get a few girls her age, each year that want to make the HS team. They need cleats, maybe 2 gloves, a very good bat, and lots of cash (for travel ball.) Good luck and keep asking questions.

Apr 1, 2010
There are few things better in this world than playing pitch and catch with your child.

Until her abilities so far outstrip yours that you get badly hurt playing catch with her! :-( But when she was little, yeah, it was great!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Until her abilities so far outstrip yours that you get badly hurt playing catch with her! :-( But when she was little, yeah, it was great!

I'm at a point now where I can not throw significantly harder or more accurately than my 10yo DD. I predict that within the next 12 months, the scales will tip decidedly in her favor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes