New Potential Recruit Watch List

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
hmmm.... I don't want to be discouraging to someone trying to be recruited....but....how about this.

If this is a parent trying to get some notice for their DD, I applaud your ingenuity and thorough approach.

If this is from someone who is charging a parent for this service- refund their money...you are a hack...

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
OK, since someone took the time to post this, and I am a psycho softball dad, I decided to watch it. Here are a couple of observations:

1) She gets her weight to far forward when she swings and hits the ball way out in front, losing a lot of power. A lot of girls do this, especially when facing slower than normal pitching. The swing in slow motion looks like a hard line drive coming off the bat, but she almost gets thrown out at 1B?
2) When she fields the ball at SS she stutter steps before she throws the ball.
3) On one play she throws the ball to 3B, but I never saw a runner going from 2B to 3B, so I am not sure what she was doing.
4) Her throws from SS to 1B are in the dirt, and on one play you see the umpire call the runner safe because the throw pulls the 1B off the bag.
5) She backpedals and catches a ball right in front of the LF, the LF should be benched for not calling her off and making that play, which tells me she is not on a very good team.
6) On the play that is labeled a "double play" the runner at 1B was safe by two steps.

Not trying to be overly critical of the player, but if you are going to publish a recruiting video, you need to make sure it makes your DD shine!!!

Apr 1, 2010
Not trying to be overly critical of the player, but if you are going to publish a recruiting video, you need to make sure it makes your DD shine!!!

Agreed. And at least one famous coach (was it Sue Enquist maybe?) advised against using game footage in a recruiting video. The coach said it was much better to simply have the player do a brief info of themselves and then run through a skills presentation, beginning with whatever it is they do best.

Aug 20, 2009
Bristol pa
It's great that someone posted this video for this player. It shows some highlights of a girl who has potential. Although, I think college coaches want to see more individual drills that show footwork, throwing motion and swing mechanics. The highlights could be mixed in somehow. If this was done by a professional, the parent should get their money back. Also, the player does not say what "Travel Ball" team she plays for. I believe these highlights came from a summer tournament. Hopefully it was some kind of showcase affair. At the next showcase tournament, ask one of the college coaches what they are looking for when sending a video. Here is a video that a college coach said to use as an example: Danielle Fernandez 2011 Softball Skills Video-Class of 2013 - YouTube
Good luck in the future.

Jul 28, 2008
Intro is WAAAAAAY too long. Coaches sift through hundreds of these and they don't want to sit and watch a long, drawn out intro.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I deleted what I had written when I realized this is a young women hoping to play softball in college. My suggestion to the dad/DD is to go to the Tech Hitting thread. Post your swing there are a few things that may need alittle improvement. Also go search on youtube for sofball skills video ideals such as the one posted already:
Danielle Fernandez 2011 Softball Skills Video-Class of 2013 - YouTube
This will atleast get you started. Good Luck.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Seems like a nice kid. I'm sure there are schools out there she can play for. If I were her, I would be contacting schools, not hoping that some college coach will find her video and recruit her.

Dec 20, 2012
I like the video, even though the quality of film is poor. It is real playing; she made the plays, got a hit, and I like her being natural.
Too bad, however, I am not a coach.....

I don't think anyone thinks that one's video posted on the Internet will get them a scholarship. One thing however is for sure, she does not deserve being critiqued here by armchair folks. Typing is easier than doing; and she is out there doing. She is also at an age where she no longer needs daddy to do things for her. She can figure it out on her own.

What Enquist said may have been true before, but now coaches are flooded with those perfectly choreographed videos, and want to see the kid in real situations. She stands out.

NOT TRUE AT ALL!!! First off a lot of these coaches are getting thousands of videos a week, they have zero time to try to figure out what is going on in a poor quality game clip. Coaches want to see 2,3,4 minutes of what their swing looks like, how quick their hands are, how strong their arm is, their footwork, all the attributes that they look for. IF they like what they see, then they go watch them play. Game film can be just as if not more deceiving than a skills video. Why would I want to see 2 clips of a girl throwing to first when the camera is 60-70 feet away when I can get shots from behind first and behind the SS or whatever position she is at? Then you can see the transition, the release, the follow thru, and get a gauge of how fast she throws(or even gun her). I can see 10 swings from the front and the side, I can see a H-1st with a watch, I can see all the things I want to see instead of, basically, a home movie. At the end of the skills video if you want to throw in a minute or so game highlights, go for it. But if your dd is not a hot commodity you have to get their attention right from the start. Is she a decent player? YES. Would this video wow a top level D1 coach? NO, they see this caliber of player every single day, there is nothing that stands out from so many other videos out there. That is not an insult, that is fact. You have only so many chances to get on the radar, why show a routine play at SS???? Unless you have a Sport Center quality highlight reel, then you are probably wasting your time. This does however not include pitchers. You can set up behind the back stop and get some good, steady, clear footage of the pitches moving, get a gun on them, etc....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA