New player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Covina, Ca
Well my story is that i started playing softball my senior year with no experience but softball camps at all but ended up being one of the fastest and best hitters, and my dilemma is this..i really want to play college softball but when i went to the tryouts i froze because the girls who showed up have been playing for years at for their AAU leagues and high school and here i am trying out with minimum experience. How can i get over this in order to show them i really know how to play this game?

May 12, 2008
Go to several try out camps. Go to the ones you aren't much interested in first.

If you are fast enough, you can often make a team just on speed alone if you make clear you are willing to pinch run and sub in occassionally while they develop you.

May 12, 2008
Yeah but if nerves keep her from showing that at the camp, that's a problem. I figure speed won't desert her due to nerves and I figure after several tryout camps with teams that aren't her first priority, the nerves will subside.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Athletic, What other sports do you play?

Do you have someone that can practice throwing and fielding with you every day?

As you build confidence, the nerves should go away.

May 9, 2008
Dear A,

If you "freeze" in pressure situations. It is an indication of a lack of proper mental skills that are required for competition. You can boost your confidence by being both mentally and physically prepared. I'd recommend that you visit WinningSTATE-Confidence Books you can purchase for a small fee a book that is softball specific that will give you the insight you need to gaining those skills.

Pops

You and I have a similar story. I've just started playing my sophomore year but I wanna play college too. Im the fastes on our team and have been working on my tee for atleast 2 hours everyday (school, days shorter now). Anything is possible. Michael Jordan wasn't a star basketball player in high school but this is a dude who is called the greatest basketball player of all time and they want to retire his number on ALL teams. so yeah just keep dreaming and believing and you'll do it.

Oct 19, 2009
Covina, Ca
Thanks for all the replys, i play basketball and track which is why i am so fast on the bases and hitting just hand and eye coordination with basketball and stuff..right now i'm playing on adult league teams so i won't rust and can get better for next season..what do you mean tryout camps?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The NFCA (National Fastpitch Coaches Association) has exposure camps at several locations. Additionally, there are exposure camps held throughout the year. Since you are a senior, you are really late to attempt to go the conventional "exposure camp/summer ball" route to a scholarship.

My advice is for you to contact some local coaches in your area and show them what you can do. If you want to play D1, you'll probably have to attend a junior college and then jump to D1. Otherwise, you might be able to find a good D3 college that would be interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy