New Pitcher: Order of Priorities

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
I think it is a good idea to have the girl to start by throwing into a net or a wall, so they will not worry about where the ball is going.

I have a 12 year old girl right now who was struggling with her control. She would tighten up, shorten everything up in her delivery and aim the ball while throwing it at 75% of her normal pitch speed. What I did was to take away home plate from her. Once the pressure was removed she started to hit the corners with good speed. Sometimes the fix is above the neck rather than below.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
If your pitcher has to "Fudge" on her "Form" to throw atrikes, then there is something wrong with her 'form' from the get go.

You are trying to build a house on sand. You should build it on a good solid foundation instead.

Try 'Coach Hal's Foundation Method' from my book.

Buy videos if you like but, if you can read, try my book.

Sep 7, 2011
KenB,

To answer your question, it's not really a Ford/Chevy kind of scenario. It's more like you should try and find a good instructor for your daughter, and drills are necessary to build a good foundation and train in the proper mechanics. Also, most instructors do the same 5 to 10 drills every practice, and only break out other drills when your daughter is having issues with a certain portion of her pitch.

Keep in mind, your daughter will need to pitch full on as well (after she has the basics down well), and you are there to catch for her and encourage her.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Good mechanics gives both control and speed. If mechanics are not repeatable (think Aroldis Chapman of Cincinnati) then you can't have control. However, any simulation of mechanics can give you wild speed, like Chapman. When the mechanics are clean you can have both. If you emphasize a clean arm circle, the power line, and everything moving directly at the catcher's mitt, neither will be a problem. If you tell a girl to throw as hard as she can, say 106mph like Chapman, you get a demonstration of speed, not pitching. Repeatable directed mechanics is the key to both.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I try to go with form, speed, control then movement, but have heard others say strikes come first. Is this a Ford/Chevy thing? I prefer form first because any kid can fudge on form to get strikes, then there is more to unlearn. What is the consensus?

Thanks,
Ken

Form, speed, control then movement is my opinion. Strikes will come once a pitcher has some control.

DD has been pitching for 5 years and is very successful, form, speed, control then movement is the order that she learned. It's funny; her first coach (LL) kept yelling "Just throw strikes" as she hit and walked batter after batter. She didn't get to pitch much that year, the pitcher that lobbed the ball over the plate got most time in the circle and the team lost nearly every game. By her second year pitching she was the starter for the same team, different coach. They won over half of their games.

Now DD plays 18Gold TB and is the starter on her HS team. The girl who lobbed the ball over the plate way back then quit pitching last year because she was getting crushed.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Form, speed, control then movement is my opinion. Strikes will come once a pitcher has some control.

DD has been pitching for 5 years and is very successful, form, speed, control then movement is the order that she learned. It's funny; her first coach (LL) kept yelling "Just throw strikes" as she hit and walked batter after batter. She didn't get to pitch much that year, the pitcher that lobbed the ball over the plate got most time in the circle and the team lost nearly every game. By her second year pitching she was the starter for the same team, different coach. They won over half of their games.

Now DD plays 18Gold TB and is the starter on her HS team. The girl who lobbed the ball over the plate way back then quit pitching last year because she was getting crushed.

I sounds to me like she isn't much of a pitcher, but she might be good at bowling? Congrats to your daughter!

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
"I sounds to me like she isn't much of a pitcher, but she might be good at bowling? Congrats to your daughter!"

Coincidentally, this year my daughter made the varsity bowling team as a freshman, having never bowled before. The team went all the way to the big show and are now the Washington 4A state champs. (Had to brag..)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish