New here-Need specific glove help please?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
*All Star Vela 12" basket web. $169.00 everywhere. I have never personally owned a All Star glove
but have heard really good things about them. Probably our next catchers mitt (CMW3000).

I think the only glove I listed with a velcro wrist strap is the All Star Vela? Not a big fan
of velcro but I'm sure alot of people love it.

One of My 10yo DD's teammates has a All-Star Vela "Three-Finger" fielding glove. It's really nice, very well made, with high-quality leather. Be prepared for a long break-in, though. It's very stiff right out of the box. My DD's teammate is hoping to have it ready for the Spring season.

The Miz MVP has a velcro wrist strap. Personally, I like the velcro strap. It's really a preference thing.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
One of My 10yo DD's teammates has a All-Star Vela "Three-Finger" fielding glove. It's really nice, very well made, with high-quality leather. Be prepared for a long break-in, though. It's very stiff right out of the box. My DD's teammate is hoping to have it ready for the Spring season.

The Miz MVP has a velcro wrist strap. Personally, I like the velcro strap. It's really a preference thing.

The All Star Vela I was referring to was the three finger model, a 12" model with a H-web would be a great
looking glove. The particular Mizuno MVP Prime I listed does not have a velcro strap. My dislike for velcro
comes from when my DD was in 10U and broke both the velcro straps on two different TPS Valkyrie gloves.
So when I was dealing with Casedawg about ordering a glove, he was telling me about how much he did'nt
like velcro either. The custom he had made for us don't have a model #, but I believe its a JSJS frame with
a black H-web. The dual welting really tightens the finger stalls and the wrist opening is pretty small so
she has never complained about the glove being loose. It has fit her great since day one and she has
pretty small hands.

My DD loves her Vinci and thats all that really matters, my complaint with it is the thumb stay ! I think
its broken, the thumb bents WAY too easy. Pretty disappointing for a 10 month old glove that retails
for $30.00 more than a Heart of the Hide Rawlings ! Anyway she loves it and we'll use it till it dies.
Vinci customer service said they have never heard of such of problem which is BS considering there
has to be hundreds of complaints on the thumb issue on SoftballFans.com. Very well documented
problem that their customer service has to know about? I swear I'm not bashing Vinci, Casedawg is
as great to deal with as anyone you'll ever meet. He gave me a great deal and I received the glove
exactly when he said I would. CS telling me they have never heard of the thumb stay issue just
left a bad taste in my mouth. Has nothing to do with Casedawg !

Oct 16, 2014
Here is several suggestions to keep you busy:

*Mizuno MVP Prime 12" H-web. Softball.com has them for $79.95, item # GMVP1201PF1R.
Really nice pattern, but soft oil infused leather so it will break in easy but probably get floppy fast.

*All Star Vela 12" basket web. $169.00 everywhere. I have never personally owned a All Star glove
but have heard really good things about them. Probably our next catchers mitt (CMW3000).

*Nokona BKF-1175H and WB-1200H. More expensive but they are Nokonas !

*The Rawlings Heart of the Hide Pro-Mesh gloves are very nice, two models to look at
are the PRO12DM and the PRO12M. I'm pretty sure the leather on these HOH models
is horween combined with the lightweight mesh would make for a good light, long
lasting glove.

*Contact Casedawg on here and order a Vinci. My DD's is a custom 12" H-web made
out of Kip leather. You could probably still find a 12" Vinci JSJS. I think they may have
been discontinued, but I'm sure you could still fine one.

I think the only glove I listed with a velcro wrist strap is the All Star Vela? Not a big fan
of velcro but I'm sure alot of people love it.
One more thing on the Vinci's, it got a bad review on one of the large online glove stores
because it was too stiff....Be warned, if you buy a Kip Vinci be prepared for 5-6 months of
break in. But broke in correctly it will last her a really really long time.

My DD just turned 13 and I think a 12" glove is the perfect all around size for that age. Some
girls will like a larger glove, really depends on the girl. But most 12" gloves are considered a
pitchers glove so "most" will come with a basket web. I personally do not like baskets, my
favorite is an H-web but what do I know. I'm sure I have missed many 12" make and model
gloves. I have always thought the glove buying process and research is fun, my DW and DD
just think I'm OCD !

very helpful! Ok we went to Dicks Sporting goods today. As I expected they didn't have anything good. We ended up going over to the baseball side and looking at the over $200 Wilson, Mizunos and Nokonas. First impressions LOVE the Nokona. Like butter! but I think we will hold off on that until we see this really is the size and H-web is really going to work out for her. The Wilsons were nice. My least favorite was the Mizuno. Dicks didn't have the exact one so I'm hoping for better, but the one we tried was REALLY stiff and the fingers were too far apart (of that makes sense),and the one we looked at had no velcro strap and she actually likes that, the one in the store was falling off her hand.

So I came home and ordered almost $600 in gloves. She will pick her favorite and we will send the rest back. Here's what's coming!

*Mizuno MVP Prime 12" H web

*Wilson A2000 12" H web

*Shoeless Jane 11.75" H web (couldn't resist I really want to see one of these in person)

Wilson Onyx 11.75" H web (got a great price, so we will see)

*Would love to look into contacting Casedawg on here and order a Vinci! If this type of glove works out and she picks one of the $100 range to start with I will definitely invest in a better glove in the near future!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Stay tuned!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good luck!

What you found with the baseball gloves is going to be fairly common. Fastpitch gloves are typically designed with narrower finger stalls for the smaller paw of a female. Baseball gloves typically do not have the velcro strap while fastpitch ones do.

Oct 16, 2014
Good luck!

What you found with the baseball gloves is going to be fairly common. Fastpitch gloves are typically designed with narrower finger stalls for the smaller paw of a female. Baseball gloves typically do not have the velcro strap while fastpitch ones do.

yeah we figured. Just looked at the baseball ones to get an idea of construction/leather/ etc…can't wait to get our shipments!

Oct 10, 2011
glove

Hey KneeHigh, which A2000 model did you order? Probably the best of the four you ordered.
DD loves the way the Wilson's fit her hand.
When dd was younger she would pick a glove if it felt "more broken in. " Now she knows that the better gloves usually take more work to get game ready but it's well worth it.

Oct 10, 2011

The All Star Vela I was referring to was the three finger model, a 12" model with a H-web would be a great
looking glove. The particular Mizuno MVP Prime I listed does not have a velcro strap. My dislike for velcro
comes from when my DD was in 10U and broke both the velcro straps on two different TPS Valkyrie gloves.
So when I was dealing with Casedawg about ordering a glove, he was telling me about how much he did'nt
like velcro either. The custom he had made for us don't have a model #, but I believe its a JSJS frame with
a black H-web. The dual welting really tightens the finger stalls and the wrist opening is pretty small so
she has never complained about the glove being loose. It has fit her great since day one and she has
pretty small hands.

My DD loves her Vinci and thats all that really matters, my complaint with it is the thumb stay ! I think
its broken, the thumb bents WAY too easy. Pretty disappointing for a 10 month old glove that retails
for $30.00 more than a Heart of the Hide Rawlings ! Anyway she loves it and we'll use it till it dies.
Vinci customer service said they have never heard of such of problem which is BS considering there
has to be hundreds of complaints on the thumb issue on SoftballFans.com. Very well documented
problem that their customer service has to know about? I swear I'm not bashing Vinci, Casedawg is
as great to deal with as anyone you'll ever meet. He gave me a great deal and I received the glove
exactly when he said I would. CS telling me they have never heard of the thumb stay issue just
left a bad taste in my mouth. Has nothing to do with Casedawg !
We had our thumb stay fixed last month on our custom Kip Vinci and it is now a great back up glove. I heard they changed them on their new gloves? ???

Oct 16, 2014
Hey KneeHigh, which A2000 model did you order? Probably the best of the four you ordered.

the 12" Superskin series (WTA20RF15IF12SS Fastpitch)

I agree it's probably going to be the best of the 4 ….it's the one *I* like best!….but I needed to order several for her to choose from because she's picky and it needs to be her choice not mine lol

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
We had our thumb stay fixed last month on our custom Kip Vinci and it is now a great back up glove. I heard they changed them on their new gloves? ???

Yeah I read the same thing, the new Vinci's have a redesigned, better, stronger, (?) thumb stay. Sorta drives home my
point about customer service ! What did you buy to game if the Vinci is your back up glove?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles