New here-Need specific glove help please?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2014
Hello this will be my very first post! I know there are several glove threads and I really did spend most of my afternoon searching and reading through most of them .I have to say I am so glad I found this forum, I have learned SO much. I am very grateful :) But I do have a specific question…….

My question today revolves around my older DD. She is 11 and is playing on a first year 12U travel team. Last year (when she was on 10U) she used a 12.5" cheaper Rawlings basket web glove (I think we paid maybe $49). She broke it in paying AAA rec ball and outfield on 10U and loves it, EXCEPT that this year the new coach is playing her at 3rd base and I don't think it's right for this. Granted, she is new at 3rd (always wanted to play it last season but didn't get many opportunities). Her issues are "losing the ball" in the glove and not getting it out smoothly or as fast as she'd like. So, for fun, we went outside for some catch today and she tried using her sister's 11.5" glove ( she's 9 years old playing on a 10U travel team….yes I'm twice blessed!!). At first it was awkward and she complained it "barely was on her hand", but after I proved I could put in on MY hand she gave in and used it. It only took 10 minutes for her to get used to it and she definitely was getting the ball out faster and smoother.

So, I searched, and have narrowed it down to about 3 gloves in 3 different price ranges:

1. Wilson A2000 12"
2. Shoeless Jane 11.75" H web
3. Mizuno MVP Prime H web

I don't have an issue paying what any of these cost if it will be a quality glove and last her a while. the H web is new to her, and she is one of those picky types that doesn't really like change and won't have the patience for a long break in period.

Looking for real life experience on these three? And open to any other suggestions!

for reference: she is 5'2" weights about 115lbs and wears a women's size 7.5 shoe. She is woman sized.

thanks for helping a mama out!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Welcome to DFP! :)

Both my DD's (10yo and 16yo) use 12" Mizuno MVP series gloves, and they are very happy with them. IMO, 12" is a good all-around size for both infield and outfield. If they are playing one position exclusively, you might want to look at a slight adjustment in size to suit the position (1/2" smaller for IF, 1/2" larger for OF). That said, especially at the age your talking about, being exclusive to one position is rare.

Also keep in mind that actual glove size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Not all gloves marked as 12" are the same size.

Oct 16, 2014
thank you I'm glad to hear from someone who DD's have used Mizuno MVP! that is actually the one I am leaning towards, with the shoeless Jane being the second choice. I am lucky to have a shoeless Jane authorized retailer near me and am planning to go try them in person.

you are correct. She is not "locked in" to any specific position right now. She mostly plays 3rd but occasionally the outfield depending on the day (technically she would still have her old glove for that, so not a huge issue). Just looking for the best thing for the infield. We still have 3 weeks left in our Fall season and then she will work with a private coach over the Winter (and hopefully start to break in that new glove)

Oct 10, 2011
glove

DD has an A2K 12" glove and absolutely LOVES it. That's really expensive but I hear the A2000 is basically the same with different leather. A lot of pros use them. You can find blemished ones pretty cheap sometimes.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My 8yo DD has been using an 11.5 MVP for just over a month and it has worked out great for her. I've always used Rawlings and was looking into a Shoeless Jane glove but decided it was too much glove for her to handle. The MVP is a solid glove for the price and well suited for 10U and 12U players. I agree with Eric that a 12" would be a good fit for your daughter (DD).

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Hello this will be my very first post! I know there are several glove threads and I really did spend most of my afternoon searching and reading through most of them .I have to say I am so glad I found this forum, I have learned SO much. I am very grateful :) But I do have a specific question…….

My question today revolves around my older DD. She is 11 and is playing on a first year 12U travel team. Last year (when she was on 10U) she used a 12.5" cheaper Rawlings basket web glove (I think we paid maybe $49). She broke it in paying AAA rec ball and outfield on 10U and loves it, EXCEPT that this year the new coach is playing her at 3rd base and I don't think it's right for this. Granted, she is new at 3rd (always wanted to play it last season but didn't get many opportunities). Her issues are "losing the ball" in the glove and not getting it out smoothly or as fast as she'd like. So, for fun, we went outside for some catch today and she tried using her sister's 11.5" glove ( she's 9 years old playing on a 10U travel team….yes I'm twice blessed!!). At first it was awkward and she complained it "barely was on her hand", but after I proved I could put in on MY hand she gave in and used it. It only took 10 minutes for her to get used to it and she definitely was getting the ball out faster and smoother.

So, I searched, and have narrowed it down to about 3 gloves in 3 different price ranges:

1. Wilson A2000 12"
2. Shoeless Jane 11.75" H web
3. Mizuno MVP Prime H web

I don't have an issue paying what any of these cost if it will be a quality glove and last her a while. the H web is new to her, and she is one of those picky types that doesn't really like change and won't have the patience for a long break in period.

Looking for real life experience on these three? And open to any other suggestions!

for reference: she is 5'2" weights about 115lbs and wears a women's size 7.5 shoe. She is woman sized.

thanks for helping a mama out!

The makes/models you listed are all very good gloves and will last a while. Consider adding Nokona to your list. If you wait until December, Longstreth usually clearances them at 25% off plus free shipping to your door.

But at 5'2" 115 lbs and growing, I'd keep her in a 12" Nokona. Be advised that measurements run smaller or larger, sometimes significantly, depending on the manufacturer. So if you want an A2000, go anywhere and try one on. If you want a Vinci or Nokona, ask folks who have them. Answer for Nokos: they are bigger than Mizunos.

Good luck :)

Feb 7, 2013
thank you I'm glad to hear from someone who DD's have used Mizuno MVP! that is actually the one I am leaning towards

12YO DD pitcher also has the 12" Mizuno MVP Prime and its a good glove. She got it on sale for around $70 at Sports Chalet over 1.5 years ago and its kept its original shape after heavy use.

Oct 16, 2014
12YO DD pitcher also has the 12" Mizuno MVP Prime and its a good glove. She got it on sale for around $70 at Sports Chalet over 1.5 years ago and its kept its original shape after heavy use.

thanks! how was the break in?

thanks everyone this is really helpful!

Funny, She found her way on the the Rawlings custom glove maker website and created herself a really nice glove with all the bells and whistles but I had to break her heart and show her the price of those hahaha.
I was hoping to hold off until Christmas…. but I think she should het it before then and start breaking it in and getting used to it in her private lessons. I will check out all of the above recommended and post back what we went with!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Break-in of the Miz MVPs is pretty straight-forward and easy. If you're in a hurry, steaming helps, as does pounding with a glove mallet. I try to give my DD's gloves a once-a-month rubdown with Nokona conditioner. As with any glove, keeping a ball in in between uses helps it maintain it's shape.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Here is several suggestions to keep you busy:

*Mizuno MVP Prime 12" H-web. Softball.com has them for $79.95, item # GMVP1201PF1R.
Really nice pattern, but soft oil infused leather so it will break in easy but probably get floppy fast.

*All Star Vela 12" basket web. $169.00 everywhere. I have never personally owned a All Star glove
but have heard really good things about them. Probably our next catchers mitt (CMW3000).

*Nokona BKF-1175H and WB-1200H. More expensive but they are Nokonas !

*The Rawlings Heart of the Hide Pro-Mesh gloves are very nice, two models to look at
are the PRO12DM and the PRO12M. I'm pretty sure the leather on these HOH models
is horween combined with the lightweight mesh would make for a good light, long
lasting glove.

*Contact Casedawg on here and order a Vinci. My DD's is a custom 12" H-web made
out of Kip leather. You could probably still find a 12" Vinci JSJS. I think they may have
been discontinued, but I'm sure you could still fine one.

I think the only glove I listed with a velcro wrist strap is the All Star Vela? Not a big fan
of velcro but I'm sure alot of people love it.
One more thing on the Vinci's, it got a bad review on one of the large online glove stores
because it was too stiff....Be warned, if you buy a Kip Vinci be prepared for 5-6 months of
break in. But broke in correctly it will last her a really really long time.

My DD just turned 13 and I think a 12" glove is the perfect all around size for that age. Some
girls will like a larger glove, really depends on the girl. But most 12" gloves are considered a
pitchers glove so "most" will come with a basket web. I personally do not like baskets, my
favorite is an H-web but what do I know. I'm sure I have missed many 12" make and model
gloves. I have always thought the glove buying process and research is fun, my DW and DD
just think I'm OCD !

Attachments

• 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 162

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00