New coach asks for practice help....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
....but ignores all suggestions.

Just some background. - I coached TB for organization X for over 10 years, all age groups from 10U to 18U. I then moved to HS coaching 8 years ago but have continued to watch organization X teams in the summer as some will end up at our HS.

OK on to the situation. At the last round of organization X tryouts I spoke to the org president and offered to help out with practices for the younger age when I have available time because the TB coaches are parents who have little to no experience. So the org X President put out an email to the coaches explaining this and left it up to the individual coach to respond if interested.

I got 1 response from a 1st year 10u coach. The first time I am able to show up is for the 3rd practice he held. I tell him I will observe for a while and then offer suggestions. He agrees.

To my horror he is teaching them the old throwing method (L drill, wrist flicks, etc.). Throws are all over the place. Following that he goes immediately into infield positions hitting them ground balls with no instruction. It was a good thing they had masks on, and throws were "just a bit outside." So during a water break I tell him new studies have shown that there is a better more efficient less stressful way to throw called HLT. He tells me that he taught his 13 yr old son to throw the old way with no problems and see no advantage to HLT. I asked him to give me 2 poor throwing players for 20 minutes over the next 4 practices and maybe I could show him why it's better. He said no. I then asked him if I could roll balls to the infielders because their fielding technique needed help. He said no he wanted them to get used to the ball off the bat not some easy rollers. I tried to explain that this was only the start of a fielding progression, but that went in one ear and out the other.

Then he went to OF practice hitting fly balls from the plate to 7 kids across the OF. I've never seen such a goofy practice. No instruction other than "gotta catch that ball" or "don't let that ball get by you". I asked him if I could throw balls to a line of players to get them used to catching on the run. Once again the reply was no that he wanted them to get used to the ball off the bat not some easy fly balls.

I felt like telling this guy that this was my first and last practice but held my tongue. I feel sorry for the kids because at this age they are like sponges to instruction and they are getting none from him. Do I give this another chance or let it go?

Apr 28, 2019
....but ignores all suggestions.

Just some background. - I coached TB for organization X for over 10 years, all age groups from 10U to 18U. I then moved to HS coaching 8 years ago but have continued to watch organization X teams in the summer as some will end up at our HS.

OK on to the situation. At the last round of organization X tryouts I spoke to the org president and offered to help out with practices for the younger age when I have available time because the TB coaches are parents who have little to no experience. So the org X President put out an email to the coaches explaining this and left it up to the individual coach to respond if interested.

I got 1 response from a 1st year 10u coach. The first time I am able to show up is for the 3rd practice he held. I tell him I will observe for a while and then offer suggestions. He agrees.

To my horror he is teaching them the old throwing method (L drill, wrist flicks, etc.). Throws are all over the place. Following that he goes immediately into infield positions hitting them ground balls with no instruction. It was a good thing they had masks on, and throws were "just a bit outside." So during a water break I tell him new studies have shown that there is a better more efficient less stressful way to throw called HLT. He tells me that he taught his 13 yr old son to throw the old way with no problems and see no advantage to HLT. I asked him to give me 2 poor throwing players for 20 minutes over the next 4 practices and maybe I could show him why it's better. He said no. I then asked him if I could roll balls to the infielders because their fielding technique needed help. He said no he wanted them to get used to the ball off the bat not some easy rollers. I tried to explain that this was only the start of a fielding progression, but that went in one ear and out the other.

Then he went to OF practice hitting fly balls from the plate to 7 kids across the OF. I've never seen such a goofy practice. No instruction other than "gotta catch that ball" or "don't let that ball get by you". I asked him if I could throw balls to a line of players to get them used to catching on the run. Once again the reply was no that he wanted them to get used to the ball off the bat not some easy fly balls.

I felt like telling this guy that this was my first and last practice but held my tongue. I feel sorry for the kids because at this age they are like sponges to instruction and they are getting none from him. Do I give this another chance or let it go?
It seems pretty obvious he’s not open to your suggestions. Sounds like you should be the coach running the practices.
Unfortunately as you describe the practice the girls won’t learn much from this character.
It’s really up to you if you feel the need to bang your head against the wall. The guy sounds like typical well intentioned Dad/coach with control issues.

Nov 18, 2015
I wonder if there’s a miscommunication about the purpose of you being there.

Maybe the coach read the Presidents email and thought “great, someone willing to help me out at practice”, whereas you meant it to be more “I’m here to help you run a better practice”.

In his mind, he may have been expecting an extra pair of hands (he’s still in charge), while you were obviously approaching it from the “expert” angle (I’m a consultant, I’m just here to offer my advice). :)

Or - he’s just an idiot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
You need to pull a Ron Burgandy on this coach. " I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal." The easy way out is to never go back. Maybe talk to the head of the organization and tell him about your experience? We have all seen these coaches and for some reason they always had an older son that he progressed through pony league and the kid quit because he sucked. Ask Domingo. I'm sure there's a video. LOL.

I had to deal with this last year with my 2nd DD in basketball. I told the head coach that I can help with the team since I have worked with both dd's team for the past 8 years. I tried to incorporate fast paced drills that were short yet intense with a lot of touches. I tried going through progressions for a motion offense, and the Head coach just wanted to run 10U type of plays that would not work in this 6th-8th grade league. He said the girls couldn't handle this type of plays. Oh really? Well, by using a motion offense the that's how the past 5 teams won the league championships. We never won a game last year. I wanted so much to just quit and let him have it.

Sounds like this HC thinks these kids already know how to play the game. Our 18U team still does ball rolling, catching bare handed, QB drills, etc. Then we progress to fielding with batted balls. We always start with fundamentals by creating muscle memory and wins to build confidence then progress to the harder things. Funny how Mike Candrea uses these techniques for his program.

May 29, 2015
Welcome to the challenges of being a consultant. I agree with Gags that this coach thought you were coming to be a pair of hands following his instruction (or lack of). He believed you were there to help the kids, not to help him.

If you continue with him, you need to have a serious conversation. If you do this with another team, this conversation must happen first. Essentially, you need to interview the “client” before agreeing to take this job. What you want them to know is that you are there for the coaching staff, not the players. Ultimately it will benefit the players, but you need to know if the coaching staff is willing to learn and change. If they are not, then save your energy and politely decline.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
I never thought of it being a miscommunication but you could be right. He introduced me to the players as a coach who will help out from time to time. On the other hand in the email from the org X president to all the HC's he noted that I am currently a HS coach. Also 1 of the 2 AC's was there to act as additional hands. He kind of hung with the HC so I'm not sure of his experience.

In our area this is the off season so in my opinion the practices should consist of the very basics especially for 10U players which is what I tried to communicate. This HC runs practice like he has a game tomorrow.

I have decided to do the following. The next practice I can make I am going to get there early and ask if I can run the first 20 minutes and he and his AC's can observe. If he doesn't like what I do then all he has lost is 20 minutes of his time and I won't bother him again. I sincerely hope that the parents of the other players hang around for that so that they can see the difference between coaching and standing at HP hitting grounders and fly balls.

Good plan or not?

Jun 8, 2016
I am not sure I would have walked in on the 1st day and started making a bunch of suggestions, regardless of your reputation or experience and what the intent of you being there was. Build a bit of a rapport with him and the team first and then slowly infiltrate his practice (it is his team after all ) 😉

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This seems pretty obvious to me. You gave him good advice. He didn't listen. He has already made up his mind from your first suggestion, and probably your second suggestion, that you don't know what you are talking about and will do things his way. There are most likely other coaches who need help. Find one of them.

Mar 6, 2018
Prior to our current middle school season we worked fundamentals hard. Tons of infield with me at the pitching circle rolling ground balls working on technique. We did the same with outfield working drills. As we moved closer to the season we did more situational and less drills. We went from 2 wins the previous season to 12 this season. We had a good catch and throw defense. It was a result on all of those reps. A lot of others looked at me like I had 3 heads when I conducted practice even though it was fast paced and players got tons of reps. In the end, the results proved the point.

Most folks just want to hit the ball around the infield and if someone miss fields the ball, they just threaten to hit it harder. Crazy!

I would do as you suggested, but I would ask to run a whole practice. Maybe take the approach of, hey I used to do this but have found this works much better..... Explain the point about multiple reps, and the fact that it’s hard to work on technique when the ball is off the bat as opposed to rolling balls.

The girls deserve better, just offer, if he doesn’t take you up on it, his loss.

There’s plenty of dad coaches out there that have learned how to be better coaches. Hopefully this one will as well.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I am not sure I would have walked in on the 1st day and started making a bunch of suggestions, regardless of your reputation or experience and what the intent of you being there was. Build a bit of a rapport with him and the team first and then slowly infiltrate his practice (it is his team after all ) 😉

I agree with this. Just think about it from his perspective. He is the HC and this other guy who he may of thought offered to "help" out at practice is telling him he is doing everything wrong and how he should change the way he is conducting practice after 20 minutes of being there. I know I wouldn't be pleased about that. I probably would have asked you to either help out or leave.

The best place to have these types of conversations is outside of practice. Give the guy a call or ask if you two can meet on a separate occasions with just a few girls to go over things. But to spring this on him during practice is probably shock and a WTF moment, regardless if his teaching methods were incorrect (which they definitely are).

I would not suggest that you just show up and ask him to coach the first 20 minutes of practice while he observes you. That seems a little insulting and I am not sure he would take that very well. There is clearly a miscommunication. You need to have a talk away from the field and explain your intentions. If he would like your assistance then great, if not then it is what it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13