Never understood why umps don't do this more often

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Extreme consumerism is rampant in society in 2022. See it all the time at the University (which I suppose is expected given the cost of higher education...not sure it is helpful for the student though when personal responsibility is left by the wayside..)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If the Umpire started exposing
second-guessing themselves calling balls and Strikes all the time, and changing their first decision.
If it were commonplace and allowed it would fiercely erode integrity and there would certainly be people shouting out to change their call...
it would probably start happening every batter.

😏 ya'kno because everyone has a better view than the umpire...

Jul 19, 2021
I was working a game and my partner admitted he botched a call to the coach. The coach screamed at him "What good does that do me now???", started to go through all the other calls he thought my partner had also got wrong, and then the entire coaching staff were on my partner for the rest of the game questioning every call to a point where it escalated into a several ejections. Total misread. Did it because he felt bad about the call...but totally the wrong thing to do in that circumstance.

Here's the thing. We don't know if they would have acted badly for the rest of the match if he hadn't admitted the mistake. We don't have that data to compare. So you're assuming that there is a direct relationship between him admitting the mistake and the subsequent harassment/ejections. Can't do that. Heck for all we know they would have acted WORSE for the rest of the match if he hadn't admitted his mistake. Maybe that bought him some grace?? We don't know. No one does because we don't have those kind of powers. But you are telling us you have those powers by already assuming what the outcome would have been if he hadn't admitted his mistake. Can't do that.

Jul 14, 2018

This is what I was talking about above. An umpire being needlessly confrontational, and these should be the best umpires in the world.

De-escalation should be an umpires priority when there is an issue on the field. MLB umpires know that some managers are looking to get thrown out to fire up their team, and they should be obliged. But that’s typically not the case in travel ball.

Thanks @marriard for your lengthy perspective. I totally get the need to maintain control, and it’s a delicate balance between seeming reasonable and being treated like a doormat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Here's the thing. We don't know if they would have acted badly for the rest of the match if he hadn't admitted the mistake. We don't have that data to compare. So you're assuming that there is a direct relationship between him admitting the mistake and the subsequent harassment/ejections. Can't do that. Heck for all we know they would have acted WORSE for the rest of the match if he hadn't admitted his mistake. Maybe that bought him some grace?? We don't know. No one does because we don't have those kind of powers. But you are telling us you have those powers by already assuming what the outcome would have been if he hadn't admitted his mistake. Can't do that.
Yeah. I was there. I KNOW. My partner knew. Our umpire assessor knew. Everyonein the arena knew... It was a total misread on his behalf (and my partner is one of the best - he is currently a high, high level official still doing D1 college games in his preferred sport).

Everything changed in that game AT THAT MOMENT. It didn't have to. They weren't screaming at him before. They weren't even screaming at him after the call he kicked. And they didn't start screaming and acting like that before he said something. But they sure were afterwards.

I am sorry it doesn't support your view point or theory; but it just doesn't.

And over 35 years I have seen it go wrong multiple times. And of course I have seen it go well as well (either by luck, good game management or just having the right people/personalities involved).

Jul 27, 2021

This is what I was talking about above. An umpire being needlessly confrontational, and these should be the best umpires in the world.

De-escalation should be an umpires priority when there is an issue on the field. MLB umpires know that some managers are looking to get thrown out to fire up their team, and they should be obliged. But that’s typically not the case in travel ball.

Thanks @marriard for your lengthy perspective. I totally get the need to maintain control, and it’s a delicate balance between seeming reasonable and being treated like a doormat.

MLB #2 Dan Bellino should be heavily disciplined or fired. Nope, just straight fired.

MLB umps making atrocious calls all week. Can the approval rating of sports officials get any lower?

Now lets see the usual parade of DFP umpires and enablers.

May 1, 2018
I've seen it a couple times. "Hey my bad on that one coach"..... I always have to say "It happens, no problem"

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

From the "fans" to the players to the umpires, MLB baseball unfailingly presents the worst examples of how sports should go. The childish "unwritten rules" that cause dugouts and bullpens to empty, players and coaches screaming at umpires, umpires screaming back, umpires who live to draw attention to themselves (as in the BS in that above video), and "fans" who attack each other over what jersey someone wears make the game very difficult to watch. The athleticism displayed is sometimes amazing, but I also see technique that I'd yell at DD if she did it.

Jul 14, 2018
Update: Bellino issues an apology:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...dison-bumgarner-incident-ejection/9684155002/

“When I began my MLB career almost 15 years ago, I received some good advice,” Bellino said in a statement issued through Major League Baseball. “I was told to umpire every game as if my children were sitting in the front row. I fell short of those expectations this week. While I can’t go back and change what happened, I take full accountability. I will learn from this incident, and I sincerely apologize.”

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff