Never understood why umps don't do this more often

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
They seemingly have this idea that they can never admit to a mistake during a game. Nice to see an ump at the highest level have some humility.

Aug 23, 2016
DD had an ump apologize to her once - he said he had no idea why he called a pitch a ball, and was glad she went back to the same place on the next pitch for the strikeout.

Aug 25, 2019
I did that last week. Home team down one, one out bottom 7. One strike on batter, and I called a high pitch a strike. As soon as I called it, I knew I was wrong, but I can't say " no no, that was a ball". The coach on third came to question it, I calmly told him you can't discuss balls and stri kes, and wouldn't you know it, the batter struck out swinging at a high pitch thAt I just called a strik e. Now I'm feeling bad, luckily the home team rallied and won the game. After the game I told the coach I missed thAt one and he was appreciative of it.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I have seen it. I have done it. Notice how subtle the acknowledgment was, if the camera wasn't laser focused on the ump and in super slo mo no one other than the pitcher sees it. It's not like you stand up, call time, and announce it to the crowd. I may just say something to the catcher, like "hey, she throws that again I'll reconsider". "Or tell her I'll see that for what it is next time" or something like that. No one but the catcher would know. On the super rare occasion that I've kicked one so bad I thought I owed the coach something I have subtly said something between innings. But again, no one other than the coach would know.

Dec 6, 2019
I've seen this posted elsewhere. I think the ump was wrong to apologize. The catcher brought that ball up over a foot after he caught it.

Jul 14, 2018
I find it interesting that this thread is happening concurrently to others that are bemoaning the lack of umpires and general incivility towards the men and women in blue.

While I understand the need for umpires to project a sense of control over the game, I think a little acknowledgment of their human shortcomings would go a long way towards mitigating some of the abuse that umpires are subject to.

Refusing to acknowledge a mistake or missed call just makes umps seem arrogant and serves to inflame coaches and spectators that are already riled up. It’s tough to keep spewing venom at someone who takes off their mask and says, “Sorry, I may have missed that one.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I find it interesting that this thread is happening concurrently to others that are bemoaning the lack of umpires and general incivility towards the men and women in blue.

While I understand the need for umpires to project a sense of control over the game, I think a little acknowledgment of their human shortcomings would go a long way towards mitigating some of the abuse that umpires are subject to.

Refusing to acknowledge a mistake or missed call just makes umps seem arrogant and serves to inflame coaches and spectators that are already riled up. It’s tough to keep spewing venom at someone who takes off their mask and says, “Sorry, I may have missed that one.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, but so far 5 of the 7 responses (2 umps and 3 others) have said they do it or see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad