Never understood why umps don't do this more often

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
I have seen it. I have done it. Notice how subtle the acknowledgment was, if the camera wasn't laser focused on the ump and in super slo mo no one other than the pitcher sees it. It's not like you stand up, call time, and announce it to the crowd. I may just say something to the catcher, like "hey, she throws that again I'll reconsider". "Or tell her I'll see that for what it is next time" or something like that. No one but the catcher would know. On the super rare occasion that I've kicked one so bad I thought I owed the coach something I have subtly said something between innings. But again, no one other than the coach would know.
maybe you should re-think the way things have always been done and try it out one time?
I find it interesting that this thread is happening concurrently to others that are bemoaning the lack of umpires and general incivility towards the men and women in blue.

While I understand the need for umpires to project a sense of control over the game, I think a little acknowledgment of their human shortcomings would go a long way towards mitigating some of the abuse that umpires are subject to.

Refusing to acknowledge a mistake or missed call just makes umps seem arrogant and serves to inflame coaches and spectators that are already riled up. It’s tough to keep spewing venom at someone who takes off their mask and says, “Sorry, I may have missed that one.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is outside the box thinking. I like it and I think you are right. More humility goes a long way with people.

I wonder how it ever became the norm to not ever admit you blew a call to everyone? Where did that start? When did it start? It's interesting that in our real jobs, it's almost (or a lot of times IS) a requirement that you admit to making mistakes. A Starbuck barista gives you the wrong kind of coffee and will readily admit the mistake but an umpire working part time can't allow himself to do the same? It's a fascinating concept.

Jul 19, 2021
I've seen this posted elsewhere. I think the ump was wrong to apologize. The catcher brought that ball up over a foot after he caught it.
It was a strike, doesn't matter where the catcher catches the ball. MLB pitches are on a descent of between 6-10 degrees.

strike.jpg

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
They seemingly have this idea that they can never admit to a mistake during a game. Nice to see an ump at the highest level have some humility.

Good umpires will do this. Or they'll say "that one could've gone either way." Something like that to suggest they know they're not infallible. I don't want to say it happens a lot because you don't want any umpire constantly admitting mistakes, but it does happen from time to time.

The bad ones won't ever do this. They're apparently not even interested in whether the call was right or not. I believe they're too insecure to understand that admitting a blown call after the fact (not changing it) actually earns them respect.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I have seen it. I have done it. Notice how subtle the acknowledgment was, if the camera wasn't laser focused on the ump and in super slo mo no one other than the pitcher sees it. It's not like you stand up, call time, and announce it to the crowd. I may just say something to the catcher, like "hey, she throws that again I'll reconsider". "Or tell her I'll see that for what it is next time" or something like that. No one but the catcher would know. On the super rare occasion that I've kicked one so bad I thought I owed the coach something I have subtly said something between innings. But again, no one other than the coach would know.

Are you more likely to say something to the coach if the coach reacts to the bad call? I don't mean the coach loses it or anything crazy. But if you blow a call and the coach says something, are you more likely to say something (if for no other reason than to deescalate)? If the coach doesn't seem to notice the bad call, are you more likely to just let it go, too?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I've seen umps acknowledge that they missed a ball/strike call multiple times.
I like when umpires would acknowledge missing a called strike when I was catching so that I knew they were trying to adhere to a strike zone area.

Definitely though have seen umpires call strikes that were nowhere near. Like in a different continent...
Cannot recall an Umpire saying
oops that wasn't really a strike.

However I have seen umpires that 'seemed like' they made up for a bad call by making a second bad call.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Are you more likely to say something to the coach if the coach reacts to the bad call? I don't mean the coach loses it or anything crazy. But if you blow a call and the coach says something, are you more likely to say something (if for no other reason than to deescalate)? If the coach doesn't seem to notice the bad call, are you more likely to just let it go, too?

Probably situational, my rapport with the coach, how the game is going. No more likely given reaction or perceived lack of reaction, but rather, do I feel like saying something here is helpful to the game.

May 17, 2012
I don't care if they miss the occasional call; I consider that a part of the game. I would prefer we do not go to automated strike zones.

I also don't need the umpire to acknowledge that they missed a call. Just get the next one right.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I don't care if they miss the occasional call; I consider that a part of the game. I would prefer we do not go to automated strike zones.

I also don't need the umpire to acknowledge that they missed a call. Just get the next one right.
Do you think there is any value in learning an Umpire Strike Zone as they may vary from one another?

Specifically liked when umpire told me if they missed calling a strike so that I knew that was still a usable location as a catcher for the pitcher.
Use that knowledge as a hitter also and was able to convey that to my team.

Aug 25, 2019
maybe you should re-think the way things have always been done and try it out one time?

This is outside the box thinking. I like it and I think you are right. More humility goes a long way with people.

I wonder how it ever became the norm to not ever admit you blew a call to everyone? Where did that start? When did it start? It's interesting that in our real jobs, it's almost (or a lot of times IS) a requirement that you admit to making mistakes. A Starbuck barista gives you the wrong kind of coffee and will readily admit the mistake but an umpire working part time can't allow himself to do the same? It's a fascinating concept.
We’ll, the barista doesn’t have someone else upset when them, when they make a mistake, just the customer, in softball, if you reverse your call, the other coach will be on you, so unless it is so obvious, you got to let a bad call stand, because if you do reverse your call, coaches will be on you all game about calls. Mind you this is more a one umpire thing, if working with a partner, I would definitely look to get the right call, even if I was the one who called it wrong.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves