Need some help on arm location.......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
this thread is why I love this forum.

Boomers--She looks fantastic!

JS--thanks for all the great commentary. Light bulb moment for me...

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Thanks for posting the rearview clip, too.

Lizzy has improved immensely. I was just looking through some of your earlier posts... Here are more comparison shots (the improvement made in two days...)

This is her release point, compared to the previous clip... notice she is now releasing behind the front leg... really nice!

a58ac1.jpg

The next one is where she is at stride foot plant, after her weight has transferred forward (I prefer to look at this, rather than touch-down)... very nice.

2ia3c3t.jpg

One of the cool things about cameras is that they capture images at a rate that allows us to compare movement DISTANCE, from frame to frame. I mentioned angular velocity... and the importance in improving it - and boy did she ever. The circle is now shorter in the back part. The next gif is a trace of the ball. Check out how the space between traces, lengthens... proving that she's utilizing angular acceleration. Not only is this path beautiful, it is much improved. Take a look at this "circle"... freakin' awesome! Overlap takes the circle out of the pitch, allowing a pitcher to get the ball up and over... perhaps this will clarify it for you...

2hrpush.gif

Lastly, not to dampen all the accolades she deserves...

...the next thing I'd work on (in addition to positive repetitions to help ingrain her new movements) is improving her whip. I can actually see the effect that the knuckle has had on her more in this video than the last... at least it appears more evident.

Lizzy is pronating her upper arm before it stabilizes against her side. I call this unloading, some others early-loading... but what it means is that she internally rotates the humerus too early. If she can work on getting that tricep a little closer to her side, and holding the palm-up a little longer... you will notice much greater angular velocity (it appears as soreness in your glove hand when you catch for her). This will activate her stretch reflex more, and the stabilization of the upper arm will add more fire (energy from her body) to the ball. Her bicep is a good visual queue...

Good drills? See BM's I/R posts. I think the bat drill, the lock it in drill, 9 o'clock and liberty drills will really help with this.

Here's a comparison of Lizzy to Ueno... I think this will help you see what I'm referring to...

2ee8l7o.gif

Lastly, I'm not sure what you meant by the wrist torque queue... You're definitely working wonders with her, I know that. For the time being, it might benefit her to take the focus off the wrist, and channeling that focus towards holding that wrist position (palm up) until her triceps contact her side. She might not, but I associate torque with tension... and if she improves her whip more, keeping a loose wrist will allow it to add more to the pitch. Her forearm speed will increase immensely, and as a result, more force will be applied to the wrist. Keeping it loose will help transfer that energy to the ball... but perhaps I misunderstood what you mean...

Tell Lizzy I want her autograph, before it's too popular of a request! She rocks!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
I hate to interject, but I have a question for you, javasource. Do you have a pitching website? You used a phrase that may have tipped me off to who you are. Or maybe it was just coincidental.

Jul 14, 2008
Boardmember, so basically you are just saying that the backswing isnt just for more momentum but for timing the sequences of the mechanics?

EXXXXXaaactly..........Creating overlap.........

It's pretty simple..........For the same reason you want the body moving forward as the arm moves backward (over the top) to enhance whip/speed......OVERLAP............You want the body moving forward before the arm on the upswing.........OVERLAP........

SEE IT? OVERLAPING THE SEQUENCE TWICE!

vp8cr6.gif

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I hate to interject, but I have a question for you, javasource. Do you have a pitching website? You used a phrase that may have tipped me off to who you are. Or maybe it was just coincidental.

Funny you should ask... I've web pages I give to my students (as sort of a compendium to instruction)... and over the years it's evolved into enough content to make a site. So... I've been working on a website for the last month or two - But nothing published to date... pitching related, that is. Hope to have it up running by January... I hope.

I'm sorta curious now... who were you thinking? Please don't say the forearm "fire" site... Although much of the content on there is worth reading (I'll read just about anything), that "goodbye elbow" tutorial terrified me.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Funny you should ask... I've web pages I give to my students (as sort of a compendium to instruction)... and over the years it's evolved into enough content to make a site. So... I've been working on a website for the last month or two - But nothing published to date... pitching related, that is. Hope to have it up running by January... I hope.

I'm sorta curious now... who were you thinking? Please don't say the forearm "fire" site... Although much of the content on there is worth reading (I'll read just about anything), that "goodbye elbow" tutorial terrified me.

LOL Yeah, when you said "fire" (as well as you being from New York) I immediately thought of that website. I'm not too terribly familiar with it, but I've watched a few of their YouTube videos and have read several articles. I haven't watched that tutorial, but thanks for the heads up.

Jul 14, 2008
You have no idea what you've accomplished by creating 2 valid overlap points in the sequence........You've seen the first part above........

Now look at Overlap number two........Over the top........And figure out what cut 3-4 frames of arm circle from this sequence........Pay attention to the arrows and lines.........

28ix1du.gif

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thank you so very much for the time and effort. It is truly appreciated.

Java, I never thought about it but after reading your comment about wrist torque, you are exactly right. I have been cueing her to torque the wrist on the way down but what I was really meaning was the face the ball upward on the way down. In my mind, they are the same but I was wrong. Perhaps that is causing the premature IR of the humerous because she is a little too tight due to the focus on the "torque"? The cue of bringing the tricep into the body will definitely make sense to her and we will use it. I believe we are going to abandon the knuckle change for the time being continue to focus on the things suggested. Thank you so much for the advice and feedback. Truly great stuff.
Boardmember, I see exactly what you are talking about. I remember a recent post of yours referencing a pitcher (I believe you said it was your DD) with similar content about syncing the push and staying below the line thus pushing more outward than upward. Honestly at the time I didnt really understand what you were talking about but now i completely understand it. Thank you for the input!

Again, we so much appreciate all of the time and effort that has gone into this. Thank you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00