Need some good advice on 12u travel team!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2012
My dd has been on a competitive softball team for 5 years, during this time we have been a performance team, which if you did not perform well in the pratice before the tournament your dd would not get to start. My dd has won 1st pitcher & starter at 1st base. The latest move from our head coach is to add an 11th players. He stated that all girls will have to sit out an entire tourney. This equals less playing time for my dd. Next year my dd will be a 2nd year 12u player who actually only passes cut off buy 19 days. I am tempted to try & find her a 14u team to start next year. We have played up in 2 tournaments & my dd hit 2 home runs & pitched very good (at 3 feet father than she does in 12u) against older girls. I talked to her coach on the phone about my concerns about having 11 players and about asking 1 player to not participate at all a tourney. He informed me we are no longer all about winning, each player pays the same amount to be on the team so each player will play the same amount of time. So far his and asst. coach's dd have yet to sit the bench. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.Thank you

Jun 11, 2012
Most 12U teams here carry at least 12 players. Our current team has 11 but no one ever sits for entire tournaments.
Why can't he just have the non starters sub in for someone in the games that you have a large lead?
We played on a team last year that was not about winning and honestly DD hated it. Winning is fun, losing because your best player is not playing is not fun. Losing tournaments in the first round of pool play is not fun.

Last edited:
May 25, 2010
My dd has been on a competitive softball team for 5 years, during this time we have been a performance team, which if you did not perform well in the pratice before the tournament your dd would not get to start. My dd has won 1st pitcher & starter at 1st base. The latest move from our head coach is to add an 11th players. He stated that all girls will have to sit out an entire tourney. This equals less playing time for my dd. Next year my dd will be a 2nd year 12u player who actually only passes cut off buy 19 days. I am tempted to try & find her a 14u team to start next year. We have played up in 2 tournaments & my dd hit 2 home runs & pitched very good (at 3 feet father than she does in 12u) against older girls. I talked to her coach on the phone about my concerns about having 11 players and about asking 1 player to not participate at all a tourney. He informed me we are no longer all about winning, each player pays the same amount to be on the team so each player will play the same amount of time. So far his and asst. coach's dd have yet to sit the bench. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated.Thank you
Well, what do you expect when you put kids into TB at age 6?

Rotating playing time makes sense. Sitting a player out a whole tournament for the rotation does not make sense.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We have 11. I sit players typically 1/2 a game, a full game at the longest.

For 5 years your dd's team has only had 1 sub? That borders on stupidity to me. No one ever gets hurt? Sick? Funeral? Wedding? And on and on?

He says they are "no longer about winning" I don't understand? You guys can't win with subs? Any giving game my 11th best player could have a better game the one of the top 5 players.

Ok say you have a tournament 30-400 miles away. It's your dd's turn to sit out the tournament, are you going to spend the money and go? I bet a lot of girls would suddenly get the flu?

Look for a new team.

Apr 6, 2012
None of what this coach says makes sense. Who sits out an entire tournament? Do you have to attend if you are going to sit out? Does your fee drop? The whole thing sounds like something someone thought out while they were drunk.

Apr 1, 2010
I agree. This is odder than heck. Eleven players is a very normal roster size. Why in heaven would the coach suddenly have to have one player sit out each whole tournament in order to manage a roster of 11?

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
Coach sounds lazy to me. I can see setting out on game a tournament but the whole tourney? Some teams carry 14/16 players and the coach works in the players...yep, lazy

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Maybe if it continued to be performance based it would've meant reduced PT for the coach's and ACs' DDs? The change sounds odd and a 10-player roster makes no sense. Sounds like its time to think about finding a new team.

May 13, 2012
I like carrying 11 on roster. If one cant make only ten at tourny makes life easy. right or wrong, with 10 i usually sit pitcher for nxt game but she still bat if i can bat roster. if 11 are there I rotate catchers between playing sitting/batting and some position work. Pitchers the same as 10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30