Need some drills or suggestions for 12yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
While it may be true, if you tell a kid it's mental or any words that sound like mental that sets up some thought processes that are not conducive to fixing the issue. Mental means 'mental mistake' translates into will or should be getting yelled at by the coach or parent.
You certainly don't have to tell the kid it's a mental issue, or use the word mental at all, especially if you know a kid is sensitive. I was simply letting the parent know what I thought was going on so he could address the problem accordingly.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
I actually don't think it is mental in this case (singling out this kid over others), just a normal reaction to increased pressure that needs a plan of attack.

That's precisely what I meant by "mental issue," versus an ingrained physical bad habit (since it was explained that she performs differently with and without a batter/crowd/etc.). That's my understanding of the term, but if it's not the accepted understanding I apologize for being unclear.

May 31, 2011
That's precisely what I meant by "mental issue," versus an ingrained physical bad habit (since it was explained that she performs differently with and without a batter/crowd/etc.). That's my understanding of the term, but if it's not the accepted understanding I apologize for being unclear.

You're on it. She pitches like a pro at home or in pitching lessons (the comfort zone). In team practice or games she has had issues as described earlier. I appreciate all the input. It's not a physical thinng IMO...just a mental/confidence thing that manifests itself in mechanical issues (bending at waist, pushing or bowling the ball, and using very little leg drive).

I did video her at rec team practice earlier this week. I think it surprised her to see how bad her form was. We are going to lessons tonight (a D-1 player whom she likes and respects). I'm confident we'll work through this. Hopefully she will get back to "normal" tonight and be able to apply it in practice Thursday.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
From my limited experience (n=1 DD), I have seen my DD acquire bad mechanics (especially early in the learning process) from game pitching, that then became difficult to undo in season. Why? No matter how much encouragement in the game to trust your mechanics, there is the catcher's mitt and the umpire- its hard/impossible to work thru a glitch that happens during the game and correct that- so they just adjust to what works to get the ball over the plate. How do you break the vicious cycle?

My DD did dry drills in front of mirror to make sure she did not lean to the side (this is what she did rather than lean forward- net result was same) over and over. For your DD_ maybe she needs to have a set up where she is pitching in practice at home (also on real field practice with her teammates as batters?) where you can set up some type of visual cue that keeps her from breaking at the waist (chinese jump ropes are great for this sort of thing)- IMO she needs to do this drill over and over til she can feel the difference between the upright and the lean and self-correct. It is tough to do during the season - could your team go one weekend without her pitching in a game?? This would give her now a solid two weeks to work on it, and maybe to get her body position corrected?

Good Luck!!

PS another thought- how is her core strength- that is essential to good posture and working on this with some exercises could help her correct

Last edited:
May 31, 2011
I really don't know hopw her core strength is. She doesn't really work at it, but she plays every sport (sb,bb,vb, and t&f) so I'd guess it's better than average. We had a lesson last night and her coach stressed the notion of her leg drive and drag foot.

She actually pitched very well for the first time since her last lesson a couple of weeks ago (Literally from low to mid 40s to high 40s and low 50s hitting spots). She was back in one of her comfort zones, but ultimately it was good to remind her of what she is physically capable of. We have rec league team practice tonight. We'll see if it transfers. Fingers are crossed and my mouth will be shut.

I think the focus moving forward is to get her to self correct.

Last edited:
May 31, 2011
One step forward and two steps back. She's still bowling at team practice. I'm really at a loss. How she can throw so well in lesosns and look like a totally different kid on the diamond baffles me. She claims she can't tell a difference...I really don't know what to say or do to help.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
One step forward and two steps back. She's still bowling at team practice. I'm really at a loss. How she can throw so well in lesosns and look like a totally different kid on the diamond baffles me. She claims she can't tell a difference...I really don't know what to say or do to help.

Is she only bowling when pitching against batters or even just throwing on the side?

May 31, 2011
Again, what is the coach telling her? And now is she so self-conscious, she needs time off?

Her pitching coach got her back to using her mechanics (staying tall, using her legs to explode to the plate, using arm whip). Her rec coach doesn't say anything. Actually he's never seen her throw like she's capable of. I help with the team, and I try to remind her what the PC talked about. It's in one ear and out the other when I try to talk to her.

Maybe she does need time off. Unfortunately, there is rec league practice tonight and a game on Monday. Maybe time off might help, but I doubt it. She likes to get "dialed in" and if she takes a few days off, warms up, throws a few bad pitches before the game, it just goes from bad to worse.

Last edited:
May 31, 2011
Is she only bowling when pitching against batters or even just throwing on the side?

Both, during team practices and games. She pitches like an All Star in private lessons.

Probably low 40s with poor control (either way high or in the dirt)at team practices and games. Low 50s in lessons hitting spots and throwing a nice change up.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We are trying to minimize practicing at home, we are trying to go to the field to practice. Limited indoor practice, pitching on concrete or grass. Non dirt surfaces and not having a plate to push off make a big difference.

As was mentioned earlier I would try to get her on the surface that she actually pitches on as much as possible. Maybe that will settle her down a little bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie