Need some drills or suggestions for 12yo DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
Who catches for her in her pitching lessons? Would it be feasible to ask the team catcher to come to one of her lessons? It may seem more like a game or practice to your daughter then. Also, if her catcher can learn a little bit about her pitching, maybe she can talk to her in practice and game situations. She may be more receptive to listening to one of her peers. It's good to get into the habit of fostering a pitcher-catcher relationship moving forward anyway.

May 31, 2011
Who catches for her in her pitching lessons? Would it be feasible to ask the team catcher to come to one of her lessons? It may seem more like a game or practice to your daughter then. Also, if her catcher can learn a little bit about her pitching, maybe she can talk to her in practice and game situations. She may be more receptive to listening to one of her peers. It's good to get into the habit of fostering a pitcher-catcher relationship moving forward anyway.

Her travel ball catcher's mom already suggested this. We'll definitely try it. Her rec catcher would probably come to lessons to help. I had another thought as I've been racking my brains this morning. Her PC had her doing flamingos to warm up. She also suggested doing them as a normal part of the warm up so she uses her legs more. I prompted DD to do flamingos at team practice and she did something, but nothing like flamingo. It was more like a one legged windmill drill, but she was leaning way forward even in that drill and bending.

I found a video of the flamingo. I'll have her watch it and integrate a proper flamingo to see if that helps trigger her muscle memory.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Time off doesn't necessarily mean not pitching at all, but just not pitching in games where the stress to perform is high - I will post of photo of something a very wise coach made to help my DD- it is lite weight, portable and safe and could be good visual for her to pitch at team practice (after trying at home and if OK with team coach) to remind her to stay tall. She should pitch on real field off rubber as much as possible. Seems it would be in all coach's interests to have your DD pitching at real potential - therefore they should support your efforts to try to get her past this hump!

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Here are the photos. This was made by "Coach Mac" from PVC piping and foam. It is in three pieces which are very light but when assembled, stand upright. The piece that is a chest level is foam only (that is me holding it so you can see down the center of the crosspiece. The others are it apart, and then together. If your DD is RH. then I'd have it on the right so her glove hand can swing out appropriately- something like this would keep her from breaking at the waist, and could be used at her team practice so she can work on breaking the habit in that setting so it is a bit more like a game. But would get her comfortable with it at home first!

IMG_0315.jpgIMG_0316.jpgIMG_0318.jpg

May 31, 2011
Practice yesterday was better. I had her review a video of the flamingo drill before she went to practice. She integrated about 10-15 flamingos into her warmup routine and it cut down on her leaning. I'll take a little progress over a setback any day. I made a big deal about it and we both went home feeling good so it was a pretty good day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors