need some advice on DD's pitching form

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
The criticism is for the concept of setting up an expectation and a path that is unrealistic and is short sighted. To give this type of suggestion to someone looking for honest information about how to improve is basically Pitching Coach malpractice as far as I am concerned. You basically said, ignore all of the mechanical issues, just stride longer and more consistently, use this grip and throw strikes. What about the drag foot being left behind and not being dragged? What about her pulling her hand back after release and the loss of power this causes? It's simple really, quality in anything takes some time. If it was as easy as you say then everyone would be doing it that way. I know the OP asked about accuracy, and you answered about accuracy, but there is a bigger picture here.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The criticism is for the concept of setting up an expectation and a path that is unrealistic and is short sighted. To give this type of suggestion to someone looking for honest information about how to improve is basically Pitching Coach malpractice as far as I am concerned. You basically said, ignore all of the mechanical issues, just stride longer and more consistently, use this grip and throw strikes. What about the drag foot being left behind and not being dragged? What about her pulling her hand back after release and the loss of power this causes? It's simple really, quality in anything takes some time. If it was as easy as you say then everyone would be doing it that way. I know the OP asked about accuracy, and you answered about accuracy, but there is a bigger picture here.

"To give this type of suggestion to someone looking for honest information about how to improve is basically Pitching Coach malpractice as far as I am concerned. " No. its called confidence. That is something a pitching instructor must exude to his students because if they do not or cannot, they are a very wishy washy instructor in my opinion.."You basically said, ignore all of the mechanical issues, just stride longer and more consistently, use this grip and throw strikes." No, I did not.

"What about the drag foot being left behind and not being dragged?" Extending the stride length to what I suggested will compel her to push off the rubber to reach that mark, the pivot toe will be dragged forward.

"What about her pulling her hand back after release and the loss of power this causes?" I said release with the palm up and that 'Peace sign grip" pointing straight at the catcher, no follow through at all. I do have to ask though, if she has already released the ball how does pulling her hand back cause any loss of power? She has already released the ball for delivery.

Before you talk about not seeing the bigger picture, you might want to take off the blinders.

There is more to the big picture here than you realize. I said she was strong and that hitting that softball on that tee was not an easy thing to do. But, if she does what I suggested and with a little bit of practice she WILL hit that ball. When she does she will get more excited than her Dad has ever seen her get and she will start building confidence from that moment on.

I told her she was strong and this was not easy to do. I CHALLENGED HER TO STEP UP TO THE CHALLENG AND HIT THAT BALL ON THE TEE.

iF DAD HANDLES THIS CORRECTLY WHEN SHE DOES HIT IT, THERE WILL BE NO HOLDING HER BACK! t
Those sxubtle little challenges are something else a good instructor will give their students to build their confidence.

Confidence isnt anything in pitching,,, IT'S EVERYTHING! The only confidence a new young beginner has is whatever level of confidence the instructor instills in them.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I do have to ask though, if she has already released the ball how does pulling her hand back cause any loss of power? She has already released the ball for delivery.

I don't want to play ping pong too much with this, I've stated my thinking, you've stated yours. This one statement though says tons. I will answer it by saying this....

For the same reason a hitter does not pull the bat back immediately following contact, for the same reason a outfielder does not jerk his hand back after release when throwing to home plate, for the same reason a tennis player does not jerk the racquet back after a serve, for the same reason a golf player does not jerk the club back after contact, for the same reason we teach players to run through first base and not stop on it. I'll leave it to you to connect the dots on why reversing motion immediately after an action can reduce power. Have a good night Hal, we can bicker in the morning.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I don't want to play ping pong too much with this, I've stated my thinking, you've stated yours. This one statement though says tons. I will answer it by saying this....

For the same reason a hitter does not pull the bat back immediately following contact, for the same reason a outfielder does not jerk his hand back after release when throwing to home plate, for the same reason a tennis player does not jerk the racquet back after a serve, for the same reason a golf player does not jerk the club back after contact, for the same reason we teach players to run through first base and not stop on it. I'll leave it to you to connect the dots on why reversing motion immediately after an action can reduce power. Have a good night Hal, we can bicker in the morning.

OK got to ask here. In the case of the batter, tennis player and golfer. If they let go of the bat, raquet or golf club immediately after they make contact the ball, how would that take away from aby power put into hitting the ball? In their cases they have the energy and weight of the bat, raquet and club to slow down and stop. So in their cases, of course, they must have a follow through because of that weight they are still holding on to.

That is not the case for a softball pitcher. That weight is gone the instant the ball is released. As long as there is a slight bend in the elbow and the release happens in front of the hip (like the rulebook requires) there is no strain or effort needed to stop the arm with no follow through. We are pretty much talking a fastball here and finging good acuiracy. Having said that, why would you WANT any follow through that would take your hand (and possibly the ball direction) away from going straight towards your target?

If we were talking left or right movement pitches, a different follow through would be beneficial to increase spin and ball movement.

We are talking accuracy here and finding it for the first time.

Lets add another sport to this arguement (?) . Boxing. The hand/fist and glove go forward with the elbow bent. Full power at the instant of contact. Then the hand and arm are instantly pulled back, no loss of power. I'll grant you that in the case of a glancing blow, the hand and arm will follow through in the same direction.

We are taking a swim across lake Silly discussing these other sports.

When it came to fastballs for young beginners, all my students threw them exactly like I described. They all had good speed, excellent accuracy and never any injuries from pitching.

If you have never tried this as I have explained, you should. It works.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
HAHA That was no drum roll, that was you passing gas.

You put every bit as much power into a 'jab' to the ribs as you do a right uppercut to the jaw. The right cross was the "glancing" blow I was referring to. Just as much power, different angle.

Alot of folks on here are quick to condemn anyone or anything they dont know, dont like or refuse to accept. Have you even tried what I described? Now others will realize there IS another way despite being told there is not. A big fear among instructors is being asked to teach something they do not know.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
ok- I give...I just don't agree with you on this buddy. If pulling back right after release was a good, powerful action then we would see it in the best, we would see some MLB pitchers who did it, we would see at least one of the great FP pitchers do it. Maybe there is one that does it but I haven't see it. but like I said there is room for disagreement so the OP can choose which concept benefits his DD the most and go with it.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
et tu OILF? is it reverse day and no one told me? Follow through is really up for debate? I really thought it was generally settled science in sports that you want to follow through motions to ensure power transfer. But hey to each his own. I'll stick with good follow through though.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Please dont think I advocate pulling the hand back right after release, I dont. I said if she pulls it back after release it will have no effect on power / ball speed.

I will add there is a movement pitch that you DO pull the hgand slightly up and back a couple inches, the 'Peel / Pull up drop''. But that happens AS the ball is released off the fingers.

Oct 7, 2013
Wow sorry I started a battle lol. JJ and or Ken could you give me some adivce as to how to correct the leaning she has towards third base? Also how big or long should her stride be? After the video I put down a cone and had her stride over it to get her out "big" but I dont want her to over stride if there is such a thing. Again thanks for the advice it has been so helpful and she has been real receptive to the I/R drills.

Henry

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors