need some advice on DD's pitching form

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Called a liar? I hope not. Called on BS, I hope so. Guess it's all part of the path and the product.

Ya gotta consider the source.
I tend to focus less on the source, and more on the material.

Watch your back.
Not enough time in life to focus on my back. I prefer to focus on what's ahead...

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
apology accepted....and Hal...I don't forget that your 45 degree landing foot helped my DD immensely. Just because I disagree with this particular advice does no mean I don't think you contribute helpful advice. Also does not mean I am some sort of lemming/minion etc. I take all of the information and filter it through my BS O METER and your post just simply registered pretty high in this one case.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Wow sorry I started a battle lol. JJ and or Ken could you give me some adivce as to how to correct the leaning she has towards third base? Also how big or long should her stride be? After the video I put down a cone and had her stride over it to get her out "big" but I dont want her to over stride if there is such a thing. Again thanks for the advice it has been so helpful and she has been real receptive to the I/R drills.

Henry

Hi Henry,

I think you and your daughter are doing a great job. That said, I really think the focus should not be on the finish line, but back at the starting point. Learning this can be really exciting - and it's easy to rush through drills - in search of the final product.

Softball pitching is predominantly an arm circle affair (this statement is not intended to start a debate), and rather than rush through the process and start working on the leg contribution, postural elements, and other areas of the pitch - go back to the foundation... the arm circle. The stride and drive, posture, etc... are all very important - but they are complimenting motions to the circle. If that is not a strong attribute of the pitcher, much of the work you do on the other motions will need to be redone or tweaked as you regress, rather than progress.

The short version? Slow down. Go back to start. Do not collect $200. ;)

You mentioned that you used aspects of the I/R threads. I can see proof of this, but I can also see the areas you may have skimmed over. Go back. Print all of BM's posts. Start with lock-it-in. Use the bat drill. Spend a lot of time on the 9 o'clock drill. Do NOT move on to Liberty until she can comfortably and PROPERLY throw from 9. Progress to the next drill only after she is PROFICIENT at the previous, etc.

YOU must understand the importance of flexion... and how it leads to force coupling (chaining). Once that understanding is in place (best if you actually try it) - you'll have much more success in showing your daughter.

It will involve patience - but rather than pitch for long periods, do these drills everyday for only a little while. You'll be amazed how quickly she adapts to the proper motion. You'll see it and feel it ("it" hurts your hand).

The great thing about the I/R threads is that if you do them as written, your daughter will indirectly correct many of the elements that others comment on... including her posture, her opening, and stride.

To sum it up, I put together an animated gif of Erica as of now. Here it is:

359xzs9.jpg

I've also cut together an animated gif of Erica with an understanding of I/R. This should be her next goal. Get to this point, first... Here it is:

33ytk0l.jpg

Get her to that point. Post a vid on here when you get there, and we'll all be very happy to continue to help you.

Keep up the great work! Don't rush the process.

p.s. - I really dig the little bow she does in her pre-motion...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
javasource,
Great advice! Love the tweaked .gif. Maybe you could turn that into a video analysis service, but instead of using professional pitchers, you could use the original kid?

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Ken,

As morbid as it sounds... all of her body parts were used... no professionals were hurt or damaged in the making of this film... ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd