need opinions on the Catalyst

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 25, 2010
The area we live in does'nt have anywhere that we can test new bats before buying. My DD used a composite Vendetta 30-18 last year and it's time for a new bat. Shes 5-2 90 lbs. Just turned 12 recently.
Can anyone with any experience with the catalyst give me any good/bad thoughts on this bat ?

Sale! Buy Louisville Catalyst Fastpitch Bat FP11C -10 oz 2011 REVIEWS: FREE SHIPPING Drop Drop-10 inch/oz Length/Weight 30/20 inch/oz 31/21 inch/oz 32/22 inch/oz 33/23 inch/oz 34/24 inch/oz

I looking to by a 31-21

thanks

Feb 8, 2009
In the pst there has been a high incidence of breaking in catalysts. Check reviews. I know justbats.com has a review page.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use the old yellow Cat. 32, 22. It is really nice, now that it is opened up. Mine took some breaking in. I just loaned it out to a 13 YO. I could actually use a 2nd one or a 33, 23.

Jul 25, 2010
Ohio
My DD used to have the -12 version of the new Catalyst. It was supposed to be hot right out of the wrapper but was extremely dead. Everything she hit with it was a slow roller in the infield. She switched to a CF4 Black and immediately started hitting shots to the outfield.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Is her CF4 a -12, too? I am not familiar with a -12 Catalyst, but the original -10 is a very good bat. I find most -12s too light for good hitters.

Jul 25, 2010
Ohio
The CF4 is a -10. I doubt the difference in weight could make that much of a difference in distance and pop. When I throw her batting practice I can hear the sizzle off the ball screaming past my head on line drives. I never heard that from hits with the Catalyst. I have no doubt the old Catalysts are great bats, which is why I bought one to begin with. However, I'm not convinced the new ones are very good.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The CF4 is a -10. I doubt the difference in weight could make that much of a difference in distance and pop. When I throw her batting practice I can hear the sizzle off the ball screaming past my head on line drives. I never heard that from hits with the Catalyst. I have no doubt the old Catalysts are great bats, which is why I bought one to begin with. However, I'm not convinced the new ones are very good.

While 2 oz may not seem like much, it's a mass increase of 10.5% (21 oz v. 19oz)! Assuming she swings the new, heavier bat as fast as the old, lighter bat, and considering Force = mass X acceleration, the increased mass translates corresponds directly to the same % increase in force, which results in more distance and pop i.e., what had been a 180 fly out becomes a 200 ft fence scraper.

Jul 25, 2010
Ohio
While 2 oz may not seem like much, it's a mass increase of 10.5% (21 oz v. 19oz)! Assuming she swings the new, heavier bat as fast as the old, lighter bat, and considering Force = mass X acceleration, the increased mass translates corresponds directly to the same % increase in force, which results in more distance and pop i.e., what had been a 180 fly out becomes a 200 ft fence scraper.

That makes sense but the 10% increase in mass shouldn't change a slow roller in the infield to a warning track shot. YMMV but in our case, at least the -12 2010 Catalyst was a complete dud and the CF4 lived up to its billing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG