Need help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 22, 2011
My DD PLAYS 10 REC.and has a few friends on TB. Better than most not as good as some..She is pretty good on rec.actually a little better than good. When do you know when it's time to move on to Travel? She hits well and field's very well. Plays third and first. Has caught some.

Feb 3, 2011
I just mentioned this in another thread. A few of us around here are trying to make an effort to keep more talent in rec as long as possible. For a long time, parents have yanked their talented kids to TB as soon as they were 1st or 2nd-year 10u. Many are ready, yes, but many others are not. If you can get more of those kids to stay for another year or 2, the quality of the rec league will improve. That's not something that matters to a lot of people, though. Around here, the ones who jump early are usually the ones who care only about making sure their DDs are showcased.

Last year, my 7yo (at the time) was eager to start her TB career this year. She's had a great season, though, and hopes to make the All-Star team and now wants to stay in rec another 2 years, so she'll get another chance to play with her catcher in 12u if she decides to move up a year early again.

Skill-wise, your DD is probably ready. So, if she does want to do it, then the decision is whether you want to commit to the time.

Jul 26, 2010
She's 10, it's not about being ready it's about being willing. If she wants to do it, and your family doesn't mind the sacrifices required for participation, then give her the chance. Most of the kids on 10u travel teams are not out there because they're super-awesome future stars, but because they're willing to participate.

-W

Oct 18, 2009
She's 10, it's not about being ready it's about being willing. If she wants to do it, and your family doesn't mind the sacrifices required for participation, then give her the chance. Most of the kids on 10u travel teams are not out there because they're super-awesome future stars, but because they're willing to participate.

-W

Exactly. If she wants to do it. Go for it.

Apr 22, 2011
I think I know she is ready ( hopefully ) maybe its me who would like to keep her in rec. Like MoMo's Dad said should we keep them another yr.or two in rec.? She does have fun playing Rec. Just seems TB comes first and alot of games are cancelled in rec. she really wants to play all the time. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE.....NEEDED HELP

May 13, 2011
It's as much the parent commitment as the child's. You'll spend plenty in TB. Is it going to be worth it or could a dew more years of rec. ball hurt? I know our rec. 10U program has been hurt by kids playing TB and not rec. When the girls reach junior high they'll most likely be playing together again. Good luck in whatever decision you make. The girls just still need to have some fun as well.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
If she doesn't understand that she has to EARN playing time on most TB teams, she's not ready. I've seen many local rec All-Stars that could not make the jump to TB and came back to rec because they could not stand riding the pine (more likely Mom or Dad couldn't stand it).

Nov 17, 2010

-W

Amen.

A player with marginal skills, a good work ethic, is willing to learn, and loves softball is ready for 10U travel.

A key test is whether she is willing to participate in a typical winter practice (dry swings for 20 mins, hit off a tee for 20 mins, take 20 swings from a machine, do soft toss for 20 mins), then do it again the following practice.

Now that's not to say there's a travel team willing to take her on with marginal skills...

-D

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
It's as much the parent commitment as the child's. You'll spend plenty in TB. Is it going to be worth it or could a dew more years of rec. ball hurt? I know our rec. 10U program has been hurt by kids playing TB and not rec. When the girls reach junior high they'll most likely be playing together again. Good luck in whatever decision you make. The girls just still need to have some fun as well.

How has your rec program been hurt by kids playing TB? Do you just mean #'s of kids joining the rec program? Or the "better" players moving on decreasing the overall competition?

Here is something to think about. In my area the rec program is really a joke, and the girls play through 8th grade. We started TB as a really young 10U team. The majority core bunch have stuck together (now 2nd year 14U). Other girls stayed in rec. Now come try-outs in HS. 21 Freshman. Who do you think made Varsity or JV, and which players made JVII? The Varsity coach said it was very easy to pick the teams just by watching warm ups. He said he walked down the line and could easily pick out the TB players vs the rec players.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd