Need help with ruling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 14, 2013
Kid (11years old) at bat
Pitch is thrown
Batter swings as she swings batt flys in field towards short stop

What is the call if any

Apr 13, 2013
Give your post a little time, some umpires will provide some good responses.

I am curious now too, I didn’t see anything in the ASA rules about this.

Jun 22, 2008
Its essentially nothing unless the bat interferes with a defender making a play on the ball. In FED you can issue a team warning and the next offense the offending player is restricted to the bench.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Unless it's a local rule in your league, I believe you were wrong in your call. That is unless, you deemed that it was intentionally done to injure a player on the other team (which I think would be more than just an out call).

Apr 13, 2013
Not to suck our local rules into the conversation but I will...

Our local rule is if a batter throws their bat they are called out without any warning. I think the intent of the rule is to stop players throwing their bat after they hit the ball.

Even with the without warning clause players are warned, I have only seen it called once after the player launched her bat for the 3rd time in 1 game.

I do not think the intent of the local rule was if the bat slipped out of the players hands but like I said above it could be argued and you might win.

If a player intestinally, or repeatedly, launches their bat into the field of play they are more then out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221