Need help with DD's swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2010
I see it...thanks for putting that together. What do you do to have her fix it?...do you just have to show her and then have her actively focus on that piece of it during tee work (very slow swings at first I would assume) until she can do it naturally enough to move to front toss or the machine?

Great GIF's in this thread. OP, Your DD has a good swing, just a little tweaking and you're there. For my DD, pointing out WHEN the U gets rocked was and is a struggle. Looking at the 2 GIF's above you can see that the hands are loaded/ being loaded as the hips take the body forward, NOT before.

For the OP, look at the connection between the top hand and the barrel in the GIF's provided and you will see a common occurrence in the angle between the forearm/wrist and the barrel. 90 degrees is a maintenance angle during launch. See GIF below..
fielderback_zpse81d8c63.gif

Now look at your DD's angle and see how it changes as She takes the rear elbow up then slams it down... It doesn't affect the barrel BUT it should....
i5stvk.gif

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I see it...thanks for putting that together. What do you do to have her fix it?...do you just have to show her and then have her actively focus on that piece of it during tee work (very slow swings at first I would assume) until she can do it naturally enough to move to front toss or the machine?

Absolutely, Show Her the GIF's, practice it slowly at first. make sure YOU do it as well so you can feel the changes that take place in your body to support this action. TJ

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Andyh64000 .... give your daughter some goals.

What does she have to do with her top-hand wrist/forearm relationship to "turn the barrel"? What does she have to do to duplicate the tip of the barrel having the same swing arc as in the comparison clip in Tjintx's post?

The bird flapping top hand/wrist manipulation will disappear.

Look at RDBass' comparison. He's showing us a hitter that maintains the triangle .... she "shows the triangle to the umpire" ... your daughter does not maintain such a triangle. What would she have to do with her top-hand wrist/forearm relationship to maintain such a triangle?

Set these goals. Show the triangle. Turn the triangle. Turn the barrel. You'll get there pretty quickly.

In short order she'll be able to think along the lines of simply turning the barrel, and the supporting structure will be there to do so.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
Here is an update...She started with a new hitting coach a couple of weeks ago and has been working hard on her swing during this short offseason.

[video=youtube_share;4W77uqiPBjw]http://youtu.be/4W77uqiPBjw[/video]

Jan 20, 2010
Here are a couple of swings from yesterday.

[video=youtube_share;WzTZ0GeZmUM]http://youtu.be/WzTZ0GeZmUM[/video]

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Well, definite improvement in barrel launch and a much better release point IMO. The barrel still needs to be more reactive to the hands and the release of the barrel need to be deeper. She's pushing to get the barrel to the ball because She initiates the swing too soon causing Her to release the barrel too soon. Good job! Keep us posted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles