Need help using a drill to teach extension and follow through

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
For the reverse hand drill to be a drill that does not help with extension I see more and more college teams that incorporate the drill into their drills and even see college players use the drill while on deck.

My daughter's college team uses the drill, and I’ve used it to help kids feel extension and including my own DD. I assure if I did not believe the drill works I would not use it with my own DD. :)

The "reverse top hand drill" is not about obtaining proper extension of the top-arm (right arm for a RH-batter).

There have been three demos of the "reverse top hand drill" posted in this thread. In two of the demos the top-arm is extended with an improper push. In the other demo the top-arm never fully extends.

I'm not saying the drill doesn't have some benefits ..... just saying that the drill is not about achieving proper extension of the rear arm.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Miggy_2013ALCS_front.gif

Unfortunately a frame is missing, but the point is still valid .... Miggy does not cheat himself of the top hand getting "through".

261lrwx.gif

Aug 28, 2012
Watch his front foot as he steps out to get ready to pull the inside pitch.

This one is even more apparent. Mariano Rivera on the mound. Catcher set up inside. Did Miggy peek? Did he guess? He was clearly committed to the inside pitch but still went yard even when Mo missed his spot and the pitch was more middle.

Miggy_stridecheat.gif

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd think a hitter would have to be very good at reading pitches before it would be a good thing to coach, the idea that you might step in or out for outside/inside. Seems that would be something that occurs instinctively. I've seen a clip on this board w/ Frank Robinson steps much further than Miggy here. Interesting. Will be curious to get thoughts on it.

Aug 28, 2012
So these are from the same swing. Unfortunately there was not more video upstream for the side view slo mo.

Miggy_2013ALCS_slo.gif

Miggy_2013ALCS_front.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODorr