Need help on bat size

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 19, 2008
I know there are tons of charts, but I would like to hear from experience.

14 year old DD (5'3" / 110 lbs). She currently swings a LS Catalyst 31/21, and has used this bat for a year and a half. Because she is a pitcher, she doesn't practice batting as much as she should. She DOES hit everything that's thrown at her, mostly line drives. I think she struck out once (maybe twice in 2010).

She swung her teammates Demarini Vendetta 33/21 (didn't like it) and her other teammates Demarini CF4 31/21 (she really liked it). So, I am going to get her the CF4. But, should I move up a size? Her teammate that swing the CF4 is 5'6" / 125 lbs. Is bigger better? Or should I stick with 31/21 that she has been swinging for a year and a half?

*I talked to her teammates dad (who's sister plays D1 softball), and he says he's not a fan of bigger bats.

Jul 26, 2010
Find a Demarini demo center and let her try both sizes. You also need to consider if she's still growing or not.

-W

Jan 19, 2011
It all depends on the kid. Example : Both of my daughters are 5' 2" and weigh (125lb's) about the same the younger ( just turned 12) uses a CF4 31/21 and swings it well. My oldest (will soon be 17) can't swing a bat at all. I also coach High school and can tell you most of the girls would have to be a beast to swing a 24 oz. bat. People can say what they want but 1oz. or 1" can make a hugh difference getting the bat threw the zone. If it's to heavy the bat head will drop and mechanics will suffer and then less likely she will be making good contact and then her confidence will drop. If you ask her she should know if it's too heavy or too light. Diff. bats will fill diff. get what works for her.

I'm a big believer in bat speed always have been and always will be, but a batter can use to light of a bat.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that she has the perfect bat for her, especially if she is hitting well with it.

Save the money and see if you can hire a hitting coach for her. Then, consider the new bat.

Oct 25, 2009
I agree with starsnuffer and Coach Beck. Find a CF4 32/22 and try it out. Should be easy enough to find, they're really popular bats. She will absolutely love the performance boost compared to her Catalyst. The CF4 32/22 will feel lighter than her 31/21 Catalyst. And she is right about the Vendetta.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
My DD is exactly the same size and weight as your DD (age 14 also). She was starting to hit off the end of her 31/21 last season, so I just bought her a 32/22. She loves it. Starsnuffer is right though, let her try different bats before buying. The cf4 comes in lots of different types. some are -10, -9, and -8. They even have one that is -10 but slightly end loaded. My DD prefered the balanced -10. I would have prefered the end loaded one but she didn't like it. Bat speed is important, but all things equal, the heavier, end loaded bats will hit the ball harder and with more distance.

Jan 2, 2011
The CF4 32/22 will feel lighter than her 31/21 Catalyst.[/QUOTE said:
Would totally have to agree with softballphreak. IMO the balanced swing weight will be better in the CF4 than the Catalyst which will make it feel lighter. Plus it will have way more pop than the Catalyst. My DD (5' 4" 110) has a 31/21 bat,she also has a 32/22 CF4 that she swears is lighter and easier to swing. In the end its what your DD feels more comfortable with.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Some good advice here- points I want to highlight:

She may already be using the right bat for her.

Given her height, she could handle a 32" (my DD is 5'-0" and using a 32" for the past 3 years since she stopped growing) -BUT, keep in mind that increasing 1" in length will make a big difference to her in the feel when she swings.

Try out bats at a Pro shop where they let you try a bat out in a cage. DiMarini is usally sold at such places.

If her current bat is end-loaded, keep her in the end-loaded bats as she clearly knows how to use it. If it is currently a balanced bat, stay in a balanced bat. There are two models of the 2011 CF4, the 'CF4 Insane' is the end-loaded one.

Keep her old bat handy if you do get a new one, she may want to go back and forth between them till she feels comfortable with the new bat all the time.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My dd is 13, using a 33/23 CF4 and pounds the cover off the ball with it.
She is 5'5 and 115 lbs. She liked the feel of the 33/23 better than the 32/22.
She hits the pitch on the outside of the plate with authority. Her swing
mechanics are sound therefore the extra ounce and inch are inconsequential

Jul 26, 2010
Remember that Dimarini has a demo program, she can borrow a bat and play a game or practice with it, and bring it back and try another the same way. The place my daughter takes hitting lessons from has one and it's very convenient.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA