Need help...me and 12yo DD are about to kill each other

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2010
Lozza you are wrong on both accounts. The Torque drill being described here can be very beneficial for teach a kid how to connect her hands to her body rotation. As described here by the parent, teh Torque drill may be needed, but video is really needed to see what is going on.

Secondly, you are way off on the approach angle for hitting a baseball and a softball on plane, as both are usually coming in somewhere around a 7 degree downward approach angle.

The swings are absolutely the same as has been proven by extensive video analysis time and time again. Anyone who is teaching otherwise needs to look at more video.

Sep 29, 2010
Screwball, the two points I was disagreeing with was the use of the Torque Drill and the fact that ball paths are different between softball and baseball.

I don't know what you are referring to regards bat on the shoulder and Candreas team, but the OP linked a video of the Epstein material and you could do far worse than training your daughter a rotational swing utilizing Epsteins material. It will ge a kid to a pretty good swing and pretty darn fast, especially based on what the OP is describing. Best of all it is pretty simple stuff to teach, even for a Dad or Mom. If the kid takes to the new swing by using Epstein, then you can begin to tweak things later. The whole point of sport is fun and the quicker a kid finds success, the faster they have fun, the easier they become to coach.

Regarding the follow through comment, I am not sure I follow you on that.

A follow through is after contact and in my opinion is a direct result of what happens leading up to contact, mainly the hand and barrel path.

So to get a follow through "like a baseball player" would require that one start their swing like a baseball player, get on plane like a baseball player, make contact like a baseball player. If those are perfomed correctly, I think the finish is mostly automatic.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2010
And why does everyone think the best thing to do is pass the girl off to another coach? Doesn't anyone value the idea of finding a way to communicate with your child and work through the process together? If the girl doesn't want to get better then it doesn't matter who is coaching her!

My daughter at 12 was a PILL. Lazy and didn't want to work for her sport. She was playing travel ball entering her second year of 12U. I gave her an ultimatum. Play travel ball and work for it (meaning extra practice at home) or just go play REC ball in the local league and do as much or as little as she wanted to. She chose travel ball that year and I purchased Epsteins DVD's and started working my butt off to help her. We worked on his material and she got better, much better. Every year, it is always her choice to continue travel ball. Every year she continues to choose travel ball and continues to work and continues to get better. We have evolved and learned together.

My advice, find out if she really really wants to play softball. Find out what she wants out of it and guage where you go from there. If she has high ambitions then I suggest you become a student of the game and get some DVD's from either Epstein, or better yet RVP (my opinion only) and spend the offseason studying it, learn it inside out and then apply it. After all, no one is going to care about your daughter as much as you will, so you may as well be the one to get her where she wants to go!

If she doesn't want to do any more than socialize and have fun with her friends via a softball field, then nothing you or ANOTHER coach can do is going to change it unless it's her choice.

May 31, 2011
And why does everyone think the best thing to do is pass the girl off to another coach? Doesn't anyone value the idea of finding a way to communicate with your child and work through the process together? If the girl doesn't want to get better then it doesn't matter who is coaching her!

My daughter at 12 was a PILL. Lazy and didn't want to work for her sport. She was playing travel ball entering her second year of 12U. I gave her an ultimatum. Play travel ball and work for it (meaning extra practice at home) or just go play REC ball in the local league and do as much or as little as she wanted to. She chose travel ball that year and I purchased Epsteins DVD's and started working my butt off to help her. We worked on his material and she got better, much better. Every year, it is always her choice to continue travel ball. Every year she continues to choose travel ball and continues to work and continues to get better. We have evolved and learned together.

My advice, find out if she really really wants to play softball. Find out what she wants out of it and guage where you go from there. If she has high ambitions then I suggest you become a student of the game and get some DVD's from either Epstein, or better yet RVP (my opinion only) and spend the offseason studying it, learn it inside out and then apply it. After all, no one is going to care about your daughter as much as you will, so you may as well be the one to get her where she wants to go!

If she doesn't want to do any more than socialize and have fun with her friends via a softball field, then nothing you or ANOTHER coach can do is going to change it unless it's her choice.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to back off a little. I'm just going to encourage her and hope for the best. Her whole team has not been hitting well, so their coaches have been emphasizing hitting lately. She actually had a single and a triple Wednesday w/5 RBIs, so maybe things will turn around.

I figure lots of tee work, some front toss, and maybe a session or two off the machine each week will get her where she needs to be. She knows what the issue is (dropping the hands). It's up to her to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321