need advice....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2010
My DD gave up pitching for one season at 15. She said she wanted to concentrate on first base. It broke my heart because I knew she was talented and we had put in hours and hours of time together. Unfortunately she had put up with a lot of criticism from coaches, parents and teammates who were more enamoured with other pitchers who threw faster than she did but not necessarily any better. These people often sacrificed games, championships, and leads for the walks of those so called 'great speed' pitchers. I think she had reached such a deep part of having people not believing in her that she just got tired of the politics. Even though she did not want to pitch any longer I made a deal with her. We agreed that if she didn't want to pitch I wouldn't expect her to. We started posting for first base positions being offered and we developed her first base skills. We worked on feilding, reading the batter, foot work, arm strength, accuracy, quick release, etc. (She is now probably one of the best first baseman you will see play in her age group.) And she agreed to continue with her lessons until she was absolutely positive she was done. I didn't expect her to practice, I just wanted her mechanics, which we had worked on for years, to not deteriorate due to neglect. As time went by she saw pitchers she had played with and against drop out of softball, level off with little improvement, get pounded in games, etc. and I think she realized for herself that she did have talent and was just as good as many of those pitchers which had been put out front before her. She came to me last year and said she does want to pitch. Since then she has worked hard on improving as a well rounded pitcher. She has a presence on the mound that offers personality, poise and toughness which you don't see in alot of pitchers. This year on her high school team she has proven herself to be the first string pitcher and has moved into the clean up batter position in the lineup. Her record this year so far is 5-1 with two shutouts, at least 35IP with 30+ strikeouts. She has garnered 10+ RBI's and hit on average 2 out of 3 at bats.
Bragging a little? Yes, I am. I am proud of her because she is doing what she wants and enjoys. She is successful because of that! Either way I would have supported her but now I know she is pitching because that is what she wants to do. Not because its what I want her to do! This is the most important thing in the girls softball lives. I have seen so many good players give it up because of their parents pushing them to do what they want instead of listening to their DD's and being supportive of their choices. If your DD don't want to pitch then help her become the best at what she does want to do! She will be a better ball player for it, you will be a better parent for it, and softball will inherit another top level player to promote its success!!!

Mar 13, 2010
11smom I was someone who was an incredibly talented pitcher/player at age 11. My parents encouraged me but I never put the effort in. At29 I do have regrets but my 'anger' (not really anger) is at myself not at my parents. They encouraged but ultimately it was me who choose not to put the effort in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi