Need advice: practice bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 24, 2021
Hi All - would like to buy a practice bat for my daughter. She has a $$$ Prism for game time, but no secondary. Can anyone recommend sub-$100 tough-as-nails bat for her to use in the cage and at practice. Thinking aluminum instead of composite, but open to ideas and input (that isn’t “buy another fragile $250 bat and suck it up”).
Kind thanks,
Maka

Mar 28, 2014
Hi All - would like to buy a practice bat for my daughter. She has a $$$ Prism for game time, but no secondary. Can anyone recommend sub-$100 tough-as-nails bat for her to use in the cage and at practice. Thinking aluminum instead of composite, but open to ideas and input (that isn’t “buy another fragile $250 bat and suck it up”).
Kind thanks,
Maka
Ebay is my go to for cage bats. Can pick up an older used model Demarini or Slugger or Easton for $80 or so in decent shape. Note: My DD has taken a liking to a few of them and used them in games and gone yard so don't think just because they are on Ebay they are dead.

Apr 24, 2021
Ebay is my go to for cage bats. Can pick up an older used model Demarini or Slugger or Easton for $80 or so in decent shape. Note: My DD has taken a liking to a few of them and used them in games and gone yard so don't think just because they are on Ebay they are dead.

thank you! Do you go same length/drop to keep consistency on those fronts? Or are there other considerations too (ie: how/where it’s weighted...)?

Mar 28, 2014
thank you! Do you go same length/drop to keep consistency on those fronts? Or are there other considerations too (ie: how/where it’s weighted...)?
yes same length, weight and balance is best but anything close will do. For instance my DD's game bat is presently a 33 -10 Blue Ghost but uses an older 33 -9 Xeno as her practice bat. Close enough.

What is your DD's game bat?

May 29, 2019
I am a HUGE proponent of practicing how you play, so DD swings the same kind of bat in games and practice. Since your DD is swinging a Demarini, I would look for whatever old model Demar swings closest to the Prism and buy a used one. It has been my experience that drop -10 and heavier Demarinis are very durable, so I would not be concerned with three-year-old used bat, for example. Put the same, brand new grip on both bats to make them feel the same.

Apr 24, 2021
yes same length, weight and balance is best but anything close will do. For instance my DD's game bat is presently a 33 -10 Blue Ghost but uses an older 33 -9 Xeno as her practice bat. Close enough.

What is your DD's game bat?
Thank you. 33/10 DeMarini Prism is her game bat.

Apr 24, 2021
I am a HUGE proponent of practicing how you play, so DD swings the same kind of bat in games and practice. Since your DD is swinging a Demarini, I would look for whatever old model Demar swings closest to the Prism and buy a used one. It has been my experience that drop -10 and heavier Demarinis are very durable, so I would not be concerned with three-year-old used bat, for example. Put the same, brand new grip on both bats to make them feel the same.

Thanks! Good insight there.

May 16, 2016
Don't think of it as a "Practice bat". It's also your cold weather game bat, your back up game bat, incase the Prism breaks during a tournament... your waiting on the warranty replacement game bat.... You DD's primary bat, when she decides the prism is unlucky....

Anyway, I am guessing your DD is young, 8u or 10u? Because if you have been doing this for any length of time, you would a bucket full of old bats in your garage...

My approach for a 8u or 10u would be run with one bat, which likely will not break, until she's ready for a new bat... then the prism becomes the back up/practice bat.

But, if you DO want to buy a back up... What size bat are you looking for? I'll check the bat bucket in my garage....

Mar 28, 2014
Anyway, I am guessing your DD is young, 8u or 10u? Because if you have been doing this for any length of time, you would a bucket full of old bats in your garage...
A 8u or 10u player swinging a 33 -10? The Florida and OU coaches should be on speed dial.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd