Need advice in setting up a T Ball-Softball program for 6 under!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

I knew this was the place to ask. When I got started in this several years ago DD1 started in local Rec League's second year of girls softball (LL) at age 10. DD2' and DD3 got their starts was in a coed T ball league at age 8. They then moved up to coach pitch/machine pitch for a year. My exposure to T ball therefore is very limited.

I got a call from a lady (former local HS player and a fellow shool system employee) that is interested in getting a girls only T-ball league just for the girls. We are talking five and six years old. Personally I have thought about what I perceive to be the inherent advantages: play all summer, escape some of the politics of the rec league, not seeing 70% of the funds we raise going to baseball, etc.

FYI we are a rural area (about 15k population) with one rec league, one HS program, one MS program. We have a few girls playing TB exclusively and a few doing both rec and TB.

What advice, experiences, etc. can the fine folks on here give me?

Last edited:
It is hard when they (BB and SB) are together, we separated years ago, technically we are under an umbrella organization Junior Athletic League but PONY Baseball and PONY Softball have two complete different boards we divide up nights when we work concessions and do not mix in any way expect sharing facilities. I guess if you had people who just cared about the kids it could work but I am not sure such an animal exists or if it does can continue once the board turns over.

I am not sure how a separate tee ball league would work but if you can get enough people interested I think it is worth a shot.

Are there not enough girls to make all tee ball in the league separate for SB and BB or does LL not split until 8U.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would think that you wouldn't even need a ball field. Any grassy area would do.
I taught my DD and her classmates, just softball skills, following 2nd grade. We didn't play any games, but we had uniforms and made it fun. I got permission to use the play yard at the grade school, for it.

Aug 13, 2012
5 years ago, we made a big push to develop a 6u league. It started out as coed, coach pitch and over the years has migrated to a baseball league and softball league. At first it went rather well with coach pitch. We had a chalk line at 25'. As it turns out, coaches got to where they were pitching to the bat, and not necessarily a strike. Last year we went to a spring loaded machine. I cant remember the name of it but they have them at hibbets for roughly $250. It throws a nice lob pitch say anywhere from 15-20mph. The results were outstanding!! We use a tball baseball for boys and a 10" softie softball for the girls. Last year we had 7 boys teams and 5 girls teams at draft with 13 players per team. Now that sounds alot for one team but we found out that on average every team will lose 2 players. 5 runs an inning, all players play the field with 7 in the infield. Ball in the crcle or ahead of the lead runner stops the play.etc. basically modified 8u rules.

I probably should have shared a little more info. I have been told that T Ball had eight teams last year with 12-13 players each which are actually 8U. So we are two years behind everyone else there it seems. They evidently play all of them in the field at the same time. So I am estimating that there were 45-48 girls in the league. In addition this feeds three minor league girls teams (10 U) and four 12 u teams.
Our thoughts are to stock the teams with about eight players each, with only infielders or infield plus a centerfielder. Playing fields should not be an issue. The HS coaches and myself want to see this succeed so there will be support there.

We use a tball baseball for boys and a 10" softie softball for the girls. Last year we had 7 boys teams and 5 girls teams at draft with 13 players per team. Now that sounds alot for one team but we found out that on average every team will lose 2 players. 5 runs an inning, all players play the field with 7 in the infield. Ball in the crcle or ahead of the lead runner stops the play.etc. basically modified 8u rules.

Thanks! The type of ball was another question I had. Improving / teaching good throwing mechanics is one major objective we have.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Definitely use the 10" ball, that made a huge difference for our 6U/t-ball girls and their small hands. We've also moved to a coach pitch with tee rescue format 9no strikeouts) which makes the kids much better prepared to move to 8U

Apr 1, 2010
Our t-ball was co-ed, with the soft t-ball baseball, and was for 4 and 5 year olds. At 6, the girls moved into machine pitch softball with RIF balls. Although the machines never seemed to pitch those balls very well; it seemed as if half of them were worm-burners and the other half sailed over the batter's head.

I think it's really hard to find a good solution for those years between t-ball and the wonderful time when the girls start to finally be able to get pitches over the plate reliably. Maybe a pitching apparatus with springs, like the Lousiville Slugger, or some type of slingshot mechanism, or heck, one of those pop-up deals used to mimic soft-toss? IMO, it would be awesome if someone could come up with something that would provide a smoother transition.

I just took a look at the rec website and saw that now they have separate links for boys and girls t-ball. So perhaps they have split it by gender. Doesn't really seem necessary for 4 and 5 year olds to me, and I always thought the baseball-sized ball was the easiest to learn to throw with, but it's a moot point for us anyway.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Feel for ya... been there
We played all girls. Co ed is a mistake.
Make it coach pitch and have the coach either windmill or rocker style. Just fast enough to be flat. strike outs only apply if they're
swinging. And focus on mechanics now, right out of the gate... throwing, catching, and batting. Breaking bad habits at 13 yrs old is a HUGE pain in the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g