Need Advice - Adjusting Diet During Tournament Season

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2010
By the end of the 8 week tournament season last year my DD ended up about 10 pounds below the ideal weight for her age/height. By the end of the 8 weeks her energy level had dropped noticeably and her effectiveness as a pitcher decreased. My DD approached me and she does not want a repeat of last year. She wants to sensibly adjust her diet to keep her weight steady. Can anyone recommend a diet strategy for a pitcher who will be practicing 8 - 10 hours/week and pitching in 2 - 4 games a weekend?

Only 1 day, 13 hours, 25 minutes until tournament practice can start!!!!!!

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Carbs and protein. Focus on complex carbs and whole grains for energy production. Stay away from simple carbs and empty calories...you know, all the stuff they want at the concession stand. Candy, pop, cake and I think I just gained a pound.

Tournament weekends are what do the most damage to my kid. Warm ups, games, post game team meetings, moving from park to park, diamond to diamond, meals and snacks are frequently missed.

A loaf of whole wheat bread, jar of peanut butter and jar of jam (or 3 if you like variety) are staples of our tourney kit. The kids are burning a ton of calories playing, especially the pitcher and catcher. PB&J is just about perfect. Quick, cheap, complex carbs, protein and enough sweet to get it in thier belly without too much fight. I try to get mine to eat one after each game.

If the park you are playing at are food facists, keep it in the trunk in the parking lot and have a parent run out and start knocking out sammiches the last inning. Do the post game in the parking lot eating and you can sometimes even pull it off on back to backs.

Dec 3, 2009
Kansas City area
Agree with Bishop. Peanut butter and banana is even better. VEGGIES and FRUIT! Beans, nuts, chicken, fish, green tea, Eat for energy and repair. Antioxidants. take a high quality multi-vitamin (gnc or local health store)drink lots of water/gatorade.

Apr 12, 2010
Agree with Bishop. Peanut butter and banana is even better. VEGGIES and FRUIT! Beans, nuts, chicken, fish, green tea, Eat for energy and repair. Antioxidants. take a high quality multi-vitamin (gnc or local health store)drink lots of water/gatorade.

Agreed on Peanut Butter, IF it's Natural.

The 2 that most kids love, (Skippy and Jiff) have hydrogenated vegetable oil, although they both have recently come out with "natural" versions.. Skippy being the better of the 2 IMO.
If you can find a good sprouted wheat bread choose that over "enriched" wheat. I love this stuff... Food For Life Baking Co., Inc. | Sprouted Grain Difference | Ezekiel 4:9

May 7, 2008
Tucson
And peanut butter spread on sliced apples.

I never knew the popularity of beans, but moving from IL. to AZ., I have found that people eat beans as often as I would eat potatoes. Families out here keep them cooking in the crock pot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves