Need advice about dd's new travel team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2015
HC of our new travel team told me that he will attend one middle school game and one hitting lesson for each girl on the team. That way, he sees how her hitting coach instructs and they can have any needed conversation about adjustments or whatever. Makes me happy b/c neither DD nor I will have to play go-between. I think that's going above and beyond and was one reason why we ultimately chose this team over others.

That is a good coach, willing to take the time and do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2016
Our DD also has hitting coaching. She is 13 and we had tell her that she needs to figure out what works and what doesn't work for her. One thing that we had been clear with her is that she can't expect different results by doing the same thing, hence she needs to adjust until she feels comfortable and hits the ball hard. That may include what she learns from the hitting coach and what she learns from the TB coach. At the end of the day, her hitting style, her swing, etc... is going to be her own, no one else, as long as she has good mechanics.

My DD used to rest the bat on her shoulder while recoiling, and not taking a big step (not using her whole body... only upper body). She was still hitting doubles, triples, etc... but didn't hit a HR (which she wanted). It cost her a lot, but by working with the hitting coach, the TB coach and me, we all made contributions to slightly change her swing and now she is not resting her bat while recoiling and taking a big step. She feels the difference is enormous, and while the goal is not really the HR, she feels more power now.

I guess my point is that your DD, at her age, should be able to take the best of what the coaches are teaching her, try it, adjust it and make it her own swing with good mechanics. If she is not hitting as well as others, why not try?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06