need a good newbie tutorial/video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
I've got a good friend out west, his DD is 6

she is getting into softball, he is looking for a good basic online tutorial/video to teach her the basics

he's a bright guy, was a decent athlete......but still doesn't want anything super technical

suggestions?

i think he needs super basics, like addressing the plate, stance, etc as well as basic swing mechanics

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
I've got a good friend out west, his DD is 6

she is getting into softball, he is looking for a good basic online tutorial/video to teach her the basics

he's a bright guy, was a decent athlete......but still doesn't want anything super technical

suggestions?

i think he needs super basics, like addressing the plate, stance, etc as well as basic swing mechanics
You'll get lots of links and ideas from the gurus on DFP, but I want to add my .02 about this - apologies for going off topic.

In addition to drills/practice/reps, take her to watch the big girls play! At the age of 6, they get more from watching than being talked at - and with the season in full force, there should be many options. Make it fun for her. Get her some local university or high school gear, let her become part of the experience. She'll pay more attention and learn more if she finds some girls she can relate to and then starts following their stats and season. Subscribe to Pac-12 or SEC channel and watch games together. Create a fan!

If she's even slightly athletic, then the mechanics and the basics will happen from watching and reps. This should be a time to instill love of the game in her, which will fuel passion for it. Our young women need heroes and mentors first, then they have examples of how to put the work in and be goal-driven. My 10 year old had a picture of Keilani Ricketts and an M.I.T. logo on her wall. No Kardashians here!

I hope your friend enjoys the process, and takes nothing for granted. What a great time in her life!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid