NCAA substitution

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
If a team informs the umpire of a substitution but the umpire does not inform the opposing team is it a legal substitution? Is the game protestable if the ump allows the substitution?

May 29, 2015
giphy.gif

Mar 22, 2010
Is it an “unreported” substitution or that only applies for reporting to the umpire not the opposing team?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Is it an “unreported” substitution or that only applies for reporting to the umpire not the opposing team?
It is a legal substitution. It is not an unreported or illegal substitution. It is clear from the original post that it was correctly reported to the plate umpire. That is all the team is responsible for. They are not required to tell the opposing team.

The correct mechanic in the NCAA is for the umpire is to report any lineup change to the scorekeeper and both dugouts, HOWEVER this is just a mechanic and there are no rule based consequences if it doesn't happen.

In this case; all the plate umpire can do is say 'Sorry coach, the other team did report the substitution to me as you can see on my lineup card" (You write EVERYTHING down in HS and college - I also do this in travel as a habit) "I apologize for not <informing you/not making it clear/that you didn't hear me indicate/whatever action you took if any> but the substitution was legally made, let's resume play"

That is the end of it. It is a legal sub, play on.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
It is a legal substitution. It is not an unreported or illegal substitution. It is clear from the original post that it was correctly reported to the plate umpire. That is all the team is responsible for. They are not required to tell the opposing team.

The correct mechanic in the NCAA is for the umpire is to report any lineup change to the scorekeeper and both dugouts, HOWEVER this is just a mechanic and there is no rule based consequences if it doesn't happen.

In this case; all the plate umpire can do say 'Sorry coach, the other team did report the substitution to me as you can see on my lineup card" (You write EVERYTHING down in HS and college - I also do this in travel as a habit) "I apologize for not <informing you/not making it clear/that you didn't hear me indicate/whatever action you took if any> but the substitution was legally made, let's resume play"

That is the end of it. It is a legal sub, play on.

... and this is why I hate it when coaches get their panties bunched up when I want a line up.

Some tournaments allow them not to turn a line up in. If this is the case and they don't, my response is, "I cannot rule on anything having to do with line ups -- not substitutions, not courtesy runners, not batting out of order. If you are both good with that, we'll let it be."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles