NCAA Player ejected for (perhaps) making line in dirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2015
Wow...kid didn't do anything....bat just brushed the dirt as he stepped back. That's an umpire that wanted to show off on tv.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

May 16, 2016
Illinois
This is one frame before the catcher caught the ball. Your picture was more like 5 frames before the catcher caught the ball. Sorry, the picture is not as good as yours but I had to use my phone. Like i said earlier, if this camera was more squared up you could tell even better how poor of a pitch call this was.

Or this guy throws a screwball that is 5 times better than Fernando Valenzuela.

1581968384628.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
^^^Yeah because that is where it crosses the front of the plate five frames ago (well slight exaggeration)...which is what the umpire is supposed to look for;)

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
One thing is crystal clear. Even with still shots, there is still debate among the forum members regarding the location of this pitch. Yet the umpire is expected to get it right every time. All we have done is prove how difficult it is to umpire live action.

May 29, 2015
One thing is crystal clear. Even with still shots, there is still debate among the forum members regarding the location of this pitch. Yet the umpire is expected to get it right every time. All we have done is prove how difficult it is to umpire live action unless you are sitting behind netting/chain link fencing.

Fixed. ;)

Jan 8, 2019
I'm perfectly OK with that being a strike, especially with respect to MANY other pitches in every league (LL, USA, NCAA, MLB) both baseball and softball that have had WAY worse calls. In my book, if I have no strikes on me, maybe I let that one go by, but I'm not going to be down on someone swinging at it (as long as the green light is on). If I have 2 strikes on me, that's as good as down the middle, and I had better be swinging.

As for the only call that really matters, I am perfectly OK with the ejection based on the rule. The batter did a good job of acting like he had no idea what he was doing was wrong, and I certainly can't claim to know his intent from the video, but he certainly had that flair that I have seen in many a whiny, sarcastic, attitude-filled kids when he made the mark.

Too many times we are mad that umpires enforce the rules. That's sad. Not sure why we think that is OK, except that I understand that the frustration when they are enforced inconsistently. If there were other players in the game that had done it without penalty, or if it were obviously this player's pre-hitting ritual, I would have a different view, but just because you think the rule is silly, doesn't mean it's not enforceable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13