NCAA Player ejected for (perhaps) making line in dirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I've got it over the knees and it breaking from the middle of the plate to the inside of the plate. Even accounting for the catcher's slight move (still a move), it doesn't appear to move off the plate, IMO. Where do you have it?

I got it over the knees but that ball misses the plate by 6" on the inside corner. Not even close to a strike. That pitch is two full balls off the plate.

May 29, 2015
I will point out that TV angles and 2D images make it hard to tell ... but 6 inches off the plate? It isn't even six inches off by the time it reaches the catcher's mitt (using the catcher's setup and movement as a guide for location).

(Razzing you now)
1581961772242.png

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Here is a front view of the pitch. That pitch is not a strike. Put me in the camp that the kid should not have been ejected. Umpire was out of line on this call.
I got it over the knees but that ball misses the plate by 6" on the inside corner. Not even close to a strike. That pitch is two full balls off the plate.

You may be right... however, the off-center over the shoulder camera view is extremely misleading in regards to pitch location as it is not inline with the pitch. Even a few degrees off-center can make a big deal of difference.

Also, it doesn't matter if call is right or wrong. That is unrelated to the ejection. The question here is did or didn't the batter argue balls and strikes by saying something and/or drawing a line where he thought the pitch was or something similar. The strike call itself and even how good or bad the call is irrelevant.

It is like the concept of 'make up calls' - all I have done now is made two mistakes, which can rapidly get out of hand. You have to take each call independently and objectively as best you can.

Mar 28, 2014
I've got it over the knees and it breaking from the middle of the plate to the inside of the plate. Even accounting for the catcher's slight move (still a move), it doesn't appear to move off the plate, IMO. Where do you have it?
about 6" further inside than you do. Ha!. The angle makes it seem closer to a strike than it was. Terrible call no doubt but there is also no doubt that the batter placed the end of his bat where he thought the ball was and then drug it towards himself in an effort to conceal his true intentions. So I actually have no problem with the ejection. Kid is freshman and needs to get off his high horse now.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I will point out that TV angles and 2D images make it hard to tell ... but 6 inches off the plate? It isn't even six inches off by the time it reaches the catcher's mitt (using the catcher's setup and movement as a guide for location).

(Razzing you now)
View attachment 16394

If the camera angle was more squared up that pitch would look even worse. I am having a hard time believing that you think that pitch was actually a strike. I fell like you are pulling my chain.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
.......its a strike when the umpire calls it a strike!
(and swing and miss and foul balls)

If thats the rules cant doodle lines in the dirt....than dont doodle.

No doodling in bb! Damn it! LOL

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If the camera angle was more squared up that pitch would look even worse. I am having a hard time believing that you think that pitch was actually a strike. I fell like you are pulling my chain.

From the front view it is impossible to tell when the ball is level with the plate...

This is a poor effort to guess when the ball was at about the plate (yes i drew the line too far, yes it isn't straight) but if I am guessing somewhere near the right time that is at least close to being over the front corner. Maybe I am a couple of frames early. Who knows from this view... And still irrelevant.

Pitch.jpg

Sep 29, 2014
The pitch: looks like a strike to me

The kid: Kinda reminds me of myself when I played always trying to be a little to cute

The umpire: Don't care if he umped the MLB before or not just one of those the game is about me types (or woke up on wrong side of the bed this mornig if we wanna give him the benefit of the doubt).

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
From the front view it is impossible to tell when the ball is level with the plate...

This is a poor effort to guess when the ball was at about the plate (yes i drew the line too far, yes it isn't straight) but if I am guessing somewhere near the right time that is at least close to being over the front corner. Maybe I am a couple of frames early. Who knows from this view... And still irrelevant.

You can tell I have the day off today...

This is one frame before the catcher caught it. So would be past the plate at this point.

Pitch2.jpg

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom