NCAA Player ejected for (perhaps) making line in dirt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
I don't see that he drew a line in the dirt to indicate location. The line was perpendicular to the ball path.

Umpires are human...perhaps the parents were flapping their jaws.

I am with you there ... I’m not convinced he did, but I’m not convinced he didn’t either. We talk all the time on here about those players and coaches who think they are more clever than the game.

We teach our kids “If you don’t want to get blamed, don’t look guilty”. Don't want to be blamed for throwing rocks? Don't hold rocks and stand next to the kid who did do it. Don't want to be harassed by the police? Don't dress like a thug.

Black and white: drawing a line gets you ejected. Don't want to get ejected for drawing a line? Don't appear to draw a line.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pfffft please....if the umpire was lifting his mask and spitting the other way he wouldnt have seen this at all.

Pretty soon wont be able to show facial emotions if this is actually cause for ejection.

Nothing worse than double standards watching mlb batters completely arguing then this little nothing....

Seriously drawing a line is a real cause for ejection???

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Don’t want batters drawing lines? Make better calls.

I'm usually with you on things @chinamigarden , but ...

The old "You disagreed so you have free license to act like that" line ...

1581956040621.png

Drawing a line is ejectable. It isn't debatable. It is one of the "Seven Deadly Sins" of a ball player, especially at higher levels. Don't want to look like you did it? Then don't do something that looks like you did it.

I'm getting a kick out of people acting like this umpire was just called up from his first year of C-grade 8u rec in the Lower Downtown Otterville YMCA league. Not only is he working D1 baseball, but he has worked in the minor leagues and MLB as a professional umpire. I think he knows a thing or two more than you and I.

(For what it is worth, looked like a good strike call to me. )

May 16, 2016
Illinois
I'm usually with you on things @chinamigarden , but ...

The old "You disagreed so you have free license to act like that" line ...

Drawing a line is ejectable. It isn't debatable. It is one of the "Seven Deadly Sins" of a ball player, especially at higher levels. Don't want to look like you did it? Then don't do something that looks like you did it.

I'm getting a kick out of people acting like this umpire was just called up from his first year of C-grade 8u rec in the Lower Downtown Otterville YMCA league. Not only is he working D1 baseball, but he has worked in the minor leagues and MLB as a professional umpire. I think he knows a thing or two more than you and I.

(For what it is worth, looked like a good strike call to me. )

Here is a front view of the pitch. That pitch is not a strike. Put me in the camp that the kid should not have been ejected. Umpire was out of line on this call.

Attachments

• 1581968041387.png
    1581968041387.png
    292.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Pfffft please....if the umpire was lifting his mask and spitting the other way he wouldnt have seen this at all.

Pretty soon wont be able to show facial emotions if this is actually cause for ejection.

Nothing worse than double standards watching mlb batters completely arguing then this little nothing....

I won't disagree with you on the tirades that MLB allows. However, drawing a line is a very specifically defined offense with a very specific penalty.

Like this guy?

Or this guy (his ONLY career ejection)?

May 29, 2015
Here is a front view of the pitch. That pitch is not a strike. Put me in the camp that the kid should not have been ejected. Umpire was out of line on this call.

I've got it over the knees and it breaking from the middle of the plate to the inside of the plate. Even accounting for the catcher's slight move (still a move), it doesn't appear to move off the plate, IMO. Where do you have it?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I don't care what might have happened before, that's pretty weak. A batter can't swipe at the dirt with a bat after a pitch? I was expecting a video showing him deliberately drawing a line from front to back inside the plate.

Even if that was an attempt to show Blue up, it was pretty subtle, and nobody would have noticed had the umpire ignored it. Unlike a game that our kids might be playing, this one has high quality video from multiple angles, and a national audience. Now, Mr Blue's call gets all kinds of second-guessing and extra scrutiny.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Even if that was an attempt to show Blue up, it was pretty subtle, and nobody would have noticed had the umpire ignored it. Unlike a game that our kids might be playing, this one has high quality video from multiple angles, and a national audience. Now, Mr Blue's call gets all kinds of second-guessing and extra scrutiny.

Not that I am saying that this is the case, but just because you think you are clever or subtle about it doesn't make it OK.

I used to get those sorts of players all the time in basketball pretending they weren't doing something to show how they thought the call was wrong and then acting all shocked when they got called. Especially in basketball, I have had many, many "I know what you are doing, don't do it again" quiet conversations with a player or coach. The "I am getting away with it" crowd knew very early to not do that with me.

I don't do soccer because that sport is the total worst at it with little to no support of the officials to get it stopped.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
A girl I coached in travel ball was challenged on something similar. She had a bad habit of setting up too far away from the plate, so she would occasionally lean over and touch the dirt just on the other side of home plate to measure her distance. Apparently the umpire in this particular game thought she was showing him up and challenged her on it. We had a discussion, and moved on. I then asked her to touch the plate instead of the dirt in order to avoid such confrontations in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee