NAIA ruling on Transgender athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2019
MN
Back up the clock. For every decade you go back girls and women had fewer and fewer sports opportunities.
So much progress has been made to provide opportunities for females. Ask yourself, does allowing males who identify to play women's sports provide more opportunities for females or does it reduce opportunities?

May 27, 2013
What bothers me most about topics such as this is that people in general cannot have a genuine, fact-based, thoughtful conversation about it without their emotions taking over. Then there is the fear of being doxxed and being raked over the coals for even sharing an opinion on either side of the topic.

Jun 18, 2023
You're stating conclusions without providing any reasons. Simply saying, "it's wrong because it's wrong" isn't an argument. Again, there is no scientific proof *as of yet* that transitioning males after a year have an advantage.

There's not even compelling evidence that simply being 'stronger' or having 'more testosterone' (Something that isn't even true for male to every female, it's an overlapping graph) makes you better at sport, even most sports. There are various other body composition things that may actually benefit more traditionally female athletes. "Male" and "Female" or just not clearly separate enough categories to really justify banning people who don't match at birth.

This study found women weightlifters actually had more fast-twitch muscles for instance.

"Researchers at Cal State Fullerton conducted an interesting study. When assessing muscle fibers taken from 21 weightlifters who were divided into three groups: World/Olympic class females (6) National Class Females (9) National Class males (6) and what they found was the women had far more fast-twitch muscles than seen in male weightlifters. The elite female weightlifters had a higher concentration of fast-twitch muscle fibers than ever recorded for any elite athlete, man or woman, in any sport."

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
There's not even compelling evidence that simply being 'stronger' or having 'more testosterone' (Something that isn't even true for male to every female, it's an overlapping graph) makes you better at sport, even most sports. There are various other body composition things that may actually benefit more traditionally female athletes. "Male" and "Female" or just not clearly separate enough categories to really justify banning people who don't match at birth.

This study found women weightlifters actually had more fast-twitch muscles for instance.

"Researchers at Cal State Fullerton conducted an interesting study. When assessing muscle fibers taken from 21 weightlifters who were divided into three groups: World/Olympic class females (6) National Class Females (9) National Class males (6) and what they found was the women had far more fast-twitch muscles than seen in male weightlifters. The elite female weightlifters had a higher concentration of fast-twitch muscle fibers than ever recorded for any elite athlete, man or woman, in any sport."

But can they lift more weight than their male counterparts? No.

Jul 1, 2022
Fringe issue, even if they allow trans women to play women's sports the number of them is so small and the proportion of that group that wants to participate in sports is so small that more women will be more likely to play with/against a woman with "unusually high" natural testosterone levels than ever playing with/against a trans athlete.

It just comes down to your opinion on whether you want to make the sport more inclusive at the potential cost of fairness for the .01%

I don't seen boys pulling a juwanna man and "transitioning" in high school to play softball because they got cut from the baseball team.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

May 20, 2015
A "solution" in search of a problem

I have two NCAA athletes.....neither one sees this as an issue, neither one feels they need "protection", both are deeply offended by this move.....

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
IMO, this is the best example of misogyny in our society. XX and XY chromosomes should be the criteria to determine who plays where. Comments were made about the research. There hasn't been much research on this topic and where it has, the exception would be where a male who is rated in the middle 400s for swimming becomes the #1 female swimmer.

When I coached basketball, I had an exceptional team. We won 24 games and advanced in the state tournament. We practiced against the boy's freshman team and to be honest, they beat us every time. My girls' team physically was bigger. I started 6'2", two 6', 5'10", and a 5'5" guard. Biology is exact. Males are males and have benefited from male hormones. That is enough for me. What we are doing as a society is substituting feeling for science in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619