NAIA ruling on Transgender athletes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2019
MN
It really is something to think about if you're a coach, say at the HS or college level where the trans player could be basically a fully grown male.
Consider the sh__storm that would fall upon you, your family, your team, and your school depending on your response.
Would you honestly play it out? Protest, then play? Talk with your players and see what they want to do? Pitch around the male player? Make some sort of statement like kneeling at home plate? Have your players line up and take a knee? Refuse to take the field?
It all ends when the vast majority of girls and women refuse to play against males. But when it is your job on the line, you start to consider you may no longer be able to positively impact their lives as a coach and do what you love. Not so easy to stick your neck out anymore.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
@sluggers, I would suggest deleting this thread before it gets into a shouting match. This is quickly going to devolve into a political discussion, one that will make me lose respect for anyone who thinks it's okay for biological males to play in female sports.
I don't know where I come out on this issue. It's difficult.

I assume you believe, like me, that athletic competition is a valuable experience for children and adults. It's hard for me to exclude kids from playing sports.

On the other hand, it takes about a year for the hormones to negatively impact muscle development. It does seem that there is a possible advantage for people who are transitioning.

Feb 25, 2020
I guess I'll be the fall guy. This is sexist, ignorant, and transphobic. That is overly evident in the "well, anybody can go play men's sports" attitude. This is not about protecting any gender lines or the policy would apply uniformly.

If you want to establish a scientifically based performance line, I am OK with that as long as it applies equally across the board, NOT just to athletes who are trans.

Are you serious here?

Feb 25, 2020
I don't know where I come out on this issue. It's difficult.

I assume you believe, like me, that athletic competition is a valuable experience for children and adults. It's hard for me to exclude kids from playing sports.

On the other hand, it takes about a year for the hormones to negatively impact muscle development. It does seem that there is a possible advantage for people who are transitioning.

A possible advantage....wow.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
...It's hard for me to exclude kids from playing sports...
I common argument I hear is not excluding these athletes from playing sports. But in so many of the highly publicized cases the sport has male and female divisions. Swimming, basketball, weightlifting, track and field, all have men's and women's divisions. No one is being denied the opportunity to compete.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How anyone can defend males playing in female competitions is beyond my understanding.

Whether you agree with the other side or not, it might be helpful to understand their position.

The vast majority of people who play sports are mediocre. They play sports to compete and for fellowship with other players, not to win. After all, sports are supposed to be about learning leadership and teamwork, not how to hit a 4-inch yellow ball.

So, should we exclude people because they transitioned? Remember, that means you are excluding children from sports.

If sports is about identifying the best athletes, then there is no point in having female sports. Why? High-level male athletes are stronger, faster, and bigger than comparable high-level female athletes.

I'm not sure what I think about it. It's very complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619