My dd doesnt use lower half

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Ok.. on my cell... so this will be choppy...

Regarding "transferring weight" and rocking. I'm not opposed to either... just the way many do so... i.e. head over butt back, bend at waist forward.

Using the lower half of the body efficiently is 99.99% of the time a "timing" issue. Sorry for the redundancy there...

Quantity or quality of lower half movement is secondary to the timing and recruitment of muscles.

It is in that statement that I believe that ENGAGEMENT of lower half muscles is the first step in improving drive... and subsequently, posture.

An engaged drive leg is one that is ready to do work earlier, than later. Position determines this. The nose should be slightly in front of the drive knee, and the knee in front of the drive toes. This position requires work to be done forward. The timing of this position is key... needs to happen prior to an athlete being too far into the backswing.

[MENTION=2313]knightsb[/MENTION] gave a good example of a drill that creates this... the pushback... not a self-serving recommendation... it's the main reason I created it.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
The intention is to develop forward momentum by engaging the lower half earlier. This skill, when learned that is... is easiest when the arms have some freedom of movement. Like the long jump, the arms can really help young female athletes gain momentum. It's a drill... not a finished product, per se... don't get the cart before the horse...

That drill is all about an overlapping relationship being formed... something they learn to feel. Once that isolated feeling is created and reproducible (with fluency ), then you can go about modifyING it to make it accommodate the full motion. See it for what it is first, not what you hope it to become.

Last edited:

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
Thanks for your response.

When I weight the rear leg ...After that is the goal not to rock back but as the rear leg is being weighted we are trying to get into the lean or are we weighting the stride leg all the while pushing forward. In short how are you taking the rock out of it.

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
It sounds as if the answer is engaging the drive leg earlier! Hopefully I'm following the explanation

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Yeah... if you are literally looking down at your drive knee... eyeing it to see it get into an engaged position (in front of the toes)... you're well into a lean. You're making sure you reach that engaged position before you start backswinging the arms too much. I'd rather see the ball not pass by the side until that engaged leg position is formed... but each pitcher is sorta unique in that aspect.

Rather than just focus on transfer (which is important, too), make sure that you recognize that what you are trying to accomplish is a forward push... sooner. Sooner... meaning, in relation to the start of the backswing. Also be sure that BOTH the glove arm and throwing arm are heading OUT straight to the target... no T-Rex arm circles on the front half.

This whole deal will create a FEELING of urgency... may result in a lot less of a backswing (a good thing, IMO), may take the "slow, slow, fast" circle into a "fast, faster" circle, etc. All those types of things are benefits... huge ones... but recognize that a new feeling is straight up uncomfortable for kids at first... so be willing to make SLIGHT modifications that they can accomplish... and then a little more, and then a little more, etc. Know what I mean?

Would love to see what her interpretation of the pushback looks like in two weeks from today... perhaps you might share a youtube video then... Best, ~JS

Apr 19, 2015
WNY
Sounds familiar, we just spent a few hours with Java yesterday and this was one of the things we worked on. Not to sound like some crazy late night infomercial but by making the change and focusing on the drive knee we saw an immediate 2-3 mph increase in speed.

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
My DD just did the same exact thing...I didn't wanna say it bcz it sounds unbelievable. I'm thinking possibly she was just excited about her new focus..Maybe she felt it..Maybe it won't last. But she was cruising at 55 before. Now she's at 57 in last night's session with me.

Here's what I really need an explanation of. Her posture looked better. Much better..I know Java states that the drive out can help posture...Can anyone help me understand how that works? How does the drive out help the posture? I will post some video soon

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
She would drive off flat footed before...She states that pulling the foot back and getting on the toe makes her feel more powerful. More leverage...She does not like the slide over of the foot thus far...She starts a bit closer together and pulls the drive foot up and in

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00