My dd doesnt use lower half

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Based on the clip above, I'll stick with my earlier suggestions regarding posture--in part by working on better back leg adduction (drag the toe toenails.)

Jun 18, 2010
The javasource pushback drill helped DD get a feeling for a more powerful drive.

(From a couple years ago)
[video=vimeo;120646398]https://vimeo.com/120646398[/video]

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
Thank you. We focused a lot on whip. I did not make her pitch completely open. She just struggles with a late push of the back leg. I'm focused on this now

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
In this drill (assuming it's a drill versus her full motion) her back leg is really acting as an anchor holding everything back.

she could really benefiting from getting her back heel off the ground work on getting a push off that looks something like this and then focus on keeping just that toe dragging the ground and the heel either just doing a quick tap or bounce off the ground or not even touching the ground at all. She actually per your previous post appear to her some bend in her arm and ball almost completely up and some whip going on now we just need her bottom half to cooperate. My guess is she was taught doing drills throwing basically sideways to emphasize release point but when incorporated into full motion does not let her body naturally close but instead tries to stay open.

View attachment 11902View attachment 11903
Define open vs close. Pitching seems to be oppo of hitting in regards to open or close

Sep 29, 2014
Closed is probably a misnaming by closed I mean closer to 45 degrees at release but moving naturally to square to the pitcher. You are correct in that we don't want the hips to be closed before release.

OPEN
openatrelease.JPG

CLOSED (closing at about 45 degrees ish or so at release)
Amanda pitching release.jpg AmandaRelease.JPG

Last edited:

JJblume

Banned
Jun 6, 2017
Based on the clip above, I'll stick with my earlier suggestions regarding posture--in part by working on better back leg adduction (drag the toe toenails.)

Ken I agree which is why I posted. How would you work on addicting or not leaving back leg behind. I have been working it via slow motion and knee gut drills. Nothing seems to work. I am assuming this is an extremely hard fix with all of the large muscles in play here.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Try the cues of pulling laces forward and squeezing the knees together. I've got to say that these are a set of several cues that can be used depending on the kid, but I think it's a safe start. Video tape and have her review herself. Compare to model pitchers found on the site. During reps, ask her how she did. Help her to develop awareness and ability to self correct.

Apr 28, 2014
My DD has the dreaded lean. I can tell you the older they get the hardsr to fix. Now that DD throws in the mid to upper 50s it's harder than ever to fix. But we're working on it... One great tool so far has been the Bosu ball. Pitching 50% on the Bosu has helped a ton.
I remember when the lean started for DD.. When's she first learned the curve ball it came easy to her and the more she leaned the greater the break.. it became a devistating pitch for her but her mechanics suffered. Everyone is giving great suggestions... It's harder than just saying "stand tall".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad