My 15 daughter batting...any thoughts, advice and/or pointers needed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 8, 2014
Here is my daughter working on her batting this month...any tips, input and/ or advice is greatly appreciated. Being her mom, it is easy to have rose colored glasses on when watching her play. But, I know that won't help her get better or get the level that she wants to play at. One of the drills she has been recommended from one of the board member is having her hand upside down, I do believe that has helped her. What are some other suggestions?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_weha-iFE7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
May 4, 2012
If she is using the reverse top hand drill, make sure she is focusing on the resistance the top hand is creating while the bottom hand is pulling. I don't see it translating into these swings. When she is doing the drill I think you should see her top hand palm pushing back, slightly up and slightly to the right of the catcher (if you were looking at catcher from the mound). This will also tighten the relationship between her forearm and bicep and she will also feel her right scap get depressed or pinched toward her spine. She should try to maintain that feeling as long as she can as she rotates back into the ball. Then have her flip her top hand back to normal, try to get same feeling - then reverse, etc. Keep repeating until it clicks. At the end of the day, you are just trying to learn how to create stretch/resistance as long as possible. Most hitters get their hands back then immediately take them back to the ball with their lower half - you want to hang the hands up with this top hand pressure/pull until you cant. The reality is this only takes a split second and it is a pass thru point for me, but it will result in in a lot more power and facilitate hitting the ball deeper - in my humble opinion

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC
Can you explain the upside hand drill, how it's done? Is it just switching the hands top to bottom- bottom to top? I've never heard of it before thanks
Here is a video on the inverted top hand drill.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s2n0LzIs7to" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
tumblr_nnqtzrt1px1usf292o1_250.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Here is a video on the inverted top hand drill.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s2n0LzIs7to" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is a bad example of RHD(Reverese Hand Drill):
tumblr_nnqv4rTxnn1usf292o1_400.gif

This is a good example of the RHD :
BustosStraightleg.gif

............................................^^^^RHD(Reverse Hand Drill^^^^^^

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
This is a bad example of RHD(Reverese Hand Drill):
tumblr_nnqv4rTxnn1usf292o1_400.gif

This is a good example of the RHD :
BustosStraightleg.gif

............................................^^^^RHD(Reverse Hand Drill^^^^^^

What is shown here as a 'good example of the RHD', lacks extension. One of these hitters doesn't seem to comprehend Ben Hogan's point of emphasis on having three rear arms.

It can be confusing ... http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/22600-what-do-you-see-g-b-u-good-bad-ugly-my-14us-swing-6.html#post304346.

Jun 19, 2014
Raleigh,NC

Thank you for this gif...you are awesome.
The two things I see where my daughter needs work, and correct me if I am wrong, is she is not getting a full extension in her swing and she is not leading with her hands at the beginning of her swing.
Disclaimer: I am no expert nor have the correct terminology down, but in the interest of my daughters' improvement, I am willing to learn.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00