Multiple Team Tryouts: Parent to Coaches Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2010
We're interested in 3 area teams for the 2010-2011 season. The tryouts for these teams are within a 10 day period starting this week. I'd like to get my daughter to all three in order to make the best possible decision for her. If she does well and all the teams are interested in her my plan was to make a final decision on the day after the last tryout. Are the coaches going to understand that we want to check out all our options and then make a decision? In my opinion the time frame is reasonable. Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
I know around here, a lot of teams have a policy that once they offer you a spot on their team, you have 48 hours to accept. If you do not accept in that time frame, they move on. And most of them are scheduled on the same day. They also usually offer two tryout dates over two weekends, but again, it's usually on the same day as everyone else. They make their decisions after that final day. It's a tough spot to be in as a parent as you only want what's best for your child. Good luck!

If all 3 make offers thats a tough spot. Lots to consider in that decision. Hope you've done research and have a team picked that she really wants to be on and jump on the offer!
Talent gets scooped up in a blink of an eye. Once a teams roster is filled the window closes. Hesitate in your choices ....could leave you looking for any team. What may seem as a reasonable time frame for you probably won't be for the coach that made her the offer, 48hrs is even pushing it. We have to fill our positions as quickly as possible. Any athlete that is wishy washy about commitment and not sure tells me shes feels a better team is out there. And after a few days if she calls back to see if the offer is still on the table tells me she has to settle for second best.
Since you didn't mention what age level I'll assume its 10u or 12u as most older quality teams keep returning players or only pick up 1 or 2 athletes. As a coach I understand the need/want to "shop around". However, after doing your research prioritize which team would be best suited for your DD, hopefully thier try outs come first!!
Also....at each try out instead of watching your DD go through the drills, talk to parents that are allready on the team from last season. Ask the coahes to point them out. Ask parents about playing time and coaching phylosophy's.....and most importantly if she had FUN!!

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Unless shes a GREAT player, they likely wont give you 10 days to decide. The others that attended tryouts are waiting and they cant contact them until you decline. Like colleges, they want players that WANT to be part of their organization, not players that are unsure, or come to them as a last resort because they couldnt make the team they really wanted to be on, etc.

Jan 28, 2010
Not So

We have three teams on our "radar" because they all are very close in quality. One issue that may make a #1 over the others is plans for next year. A couple are still to make decisions on where they are going to play. Some are contemplating trips very far away from home = a large amount of added expense. The way I see it it's not my fault I can't get a complete picture of what to expect. The teams around here want to out do each other with earlier and earlier try-out dates but are unsure of many issues that parents need to know to determine a choice that will be correct this Fall until through July 2011.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283