MS Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
Tuesday – Thursday DD is going to try out for her MS Team which she played for last year.

Anything can happen to DD. She could be cut, play on the lower level team, play on the higher level team, pitch on either, not pitch on either, make the Team but sit on the bench, some of her friends might move up while she stays back, who knows?

She is not comfortable with her situation. She is sabotaging herself going into it because she is uncomfortable because she does not know where she might land and what her friends are doing, her friends are a longer story.

She is a great bench player if she knows the players, I am not sure she is going to at first.

I told her to tryout and quit when they make the Teams up if she is not comfortable. Does that make sense?

(The last day of school last year the A Team coach went out of her way to make sure DD knew when tryouts were, great person)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am against trying out and quitting. That doesn't make sense. You have tried out and given your best and the coach puts you where he needs you. You don't like it, so you quit. Someone else that got cut, is either out of a spot or called and asked if they want yours.
Meanwhile, the neighborhood gossip is texting that your kid thinks she is too good for the B team. It doesn't set a good precedent.

Good luck and I bet that she is just fine - and if those friends are a problem, they aren't friends anyway.

Jun 24, 2013
Is trying out and declining a better way to phrase it? TB players do it all the time.

I think she will be fine too once she gets into it and knows a few of the players.

One of her friends is trying out for the A Team, DD just would prefer to stay with her friends regardless of the level. I think DD would be better on the B Team, if she makes either.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
No. Not in my mind, but we were at a small MS in central IL. IF you ever declined, you were sunk. You couldn't have even played in HS. Softball is a small world. One son made the B team. It was the best thing for him and he played every game. The coach asked me if DD could play down and I said "Yes, with a friend."

I doubt if my adult kids even remember it now.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
"sabotaging" going into it because she is uncomfortable because she does not know where she might land

This will last her whole life, just as it does all our lives. This is a life lesson you want to learn/deal with as early as possible. For each time we do, we "grow" from those experiences.

Jul 2, 2013
Travel Ball and High School softball are worlds apart. In travel ball, especially as you get older, players can and will change like the wind. Everyone is trying to get the best look for their player. Plus YOU ARE PAYING to be on the team. It is only reasonable to try to get what you pay for. I personally have never paid to have my player NOT be a regular player on the team. Simply makes no sense. Younger player-parents may take exception. My response is, talk to me in a few years.

High School is different. There is ONLY one team. If you want to play high school softball, especially on a high level high school, EXPECT to have a year where you sit the bench. That is how you earn playing time the following year. It teaches you HOW to be a college player. If you do not stick it out when you draw the short straw, someone else will step in line, and you are farther behind the next year.

Sure, in travel ball, move around. Just try to do it in between seasons, spring to fall, or fall to spring, whatever.

In high school, stick it out for the down times. For in my experience, playing for a winning high school team is FAR better than any travel ball experience. Papers, press, school recognition, outside fans, it is the bomb. You have to wait though until probably your sophomore year for an average GOOD player to play regularly on a high level high school team. The early years are just positioning yourself "in line".

Last edited:
Travel Ball and High School softball are worlds apart. In travel ball, especially as you get older, players can and will change like the wind. Everyone is trying to get the best look for their player. Plus YOU ARE PAYING to be on the team. It is only reasonable to try to get what you pay for. I personally have never paid to have my player NOT be a regular player on the team. Simply makes no sense. Younger player-parents may take exception. My response is, talk to me in a few years.

High School is different. There is ONLY one team. If you want to play high school softball, especially on a high level high school, EXPECT to have a year where you sit the bench. That is how you earn playing time the following year. It teaches you HOW to be a college player. If you do not stick it out when you draw the short straw, someone else will step in line, and you are farther behind the next year.

Sure, in travel ball, move around. Just try to do it in between seasons, spring to fall, or fall to spring, whatever.

In high school, stick it out for the down times. For in my experience, playing for a winning high school team is FAR better than any travel ball experience. Papers, press, school recognition, outside fans, it is the bomb. You have to wait though until probably your sophomore year for an average GOOD player to play regularly on a high level high school team. The early years are just positioning yourself "in line".

Well said.

Jun 24, 2013
DD just gave me a recap of the 1st day; she will make the B Team with her friends. Good news as far as I am concerned.

Not much of an accomplishment since it sounds like they are struggling to get enough players to field 2 Teams.

Tomorrow is pitching, we will see how she does.

DD said they had the players throw the ball up and hit it, I just started laughing. This is always fun. I had tears in my eyes at the end of the conversation laughing so hard.

Edit:

Best news from DD was the coach told DD’s friend how good she looked. She played the absolute minimum last year but I do not think she will sitting on the bench this year. She wasn’t even going to go to tryouts but DW said I will be at your house at 8:45 to pick you up. She is ready to get back there tomorrow.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Tuesday – Thursday DD is going to try out for her MS Team which she played for last year.

Anything can happen to DD. She could be cut, play on the lower level team, play on the higher level team, pitch on either, not pitch on either, make the Team but sit on the bench, some of her friends might move up while she stays back, who knows?

She is not comfortable with her situation. She is sabotaging herself going into it because she is uncomfortable because she does not know where she might land and what her friends are doing, her friends are a longer story.

She is a great bench player if she knows the players, I am not sure she is going to at first.

I told her to tryout and quit when they make the Teams up if she is not comfortable. Does that make sense?

(The last day of school last year the A Team coach went out of her way to make sure DD knew when tryouts were, great person)

If your DD trys out and then quits, I think it could seriously hurt her chances of making the HS team later on. I know a player who quit the JV team as a 10th grader, because she, and her dad, thought she should have made varsity. Now she is an 11th grader and would easily make the varsity team, but the head coach told her not to bother trying out. High school ball is NOT like TB. You do not have other options, unless you are willing to pony up for private school!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1