Moving up ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 30, 2014
Has anyone moved there DD up an age group? My DD is an 06 that played 8U TB this fall. The majority of the team are either late 06's or 05's that must move up to 10U this spring. So, in order to continue playing with this team, we will need to move up as well. Now, granted we love the team and core group of girls and parents. However, I am concerned with her mental knowledge of the game. Physically, she is good. Very strong defensively as well as offensively. But she just started grasping "situational awareness", at the 8U level which will change entirely at 10U. Has anyone else moved up early? Was it beneficial or in hind site, do you wished you would have let her stay back another year at her eligible age group? Her hitting coach wanted her to move out of coach pitch this past fall and onto a 10U B or C team. He thinks she is beyond the 8U level "physically". My thinking, is that here is where she will really start to learn the game of softball and can stay back at this level with three years in 10U if need be. Of course, this will be a young 10U team altogether, so there are no high expectations other than to just learn the game right now.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd was 8 when she started 10U. I kept her with her age group from then on, with the exception of guest playing on an 18U team when she was 14.

The issue with moving a player up is often more emotional and maturity then physical performance. Make sure your dd is ready to be around older players and opponents. Not as big a deal at 10u but at 14u and up the things the girls talk about and how they treat each other changes drastically.

Jan 3, 2014
^^^^^ This

My DD played up from 12U to 14U last Summer and wasn't emotionally ready to do it. I regret the decision to allow her to move up, despite the fact that she was very ready athletically.

Laker

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... I am concerned with her mental knowledge of the game. ... My thinking, is that here is where she will really start to learn the game of softball and can stay back at this level with three years in 10U if need be.

I don't understand how she will learn the game better and become more knowledgeable by staying back rather than moving up. If that's your only concern, I think she's better playing up.

Here are the questions I would ask -- What does my daughter want to do? Will 10U be so hard that it takes the fun out of it? Will 8U be so easy that she's bored? Does she like her teammates and fit in with them? Is she ready for an increase in the number of games or practices that 10U might entail?

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My DD also started early. Practiced with her team and played just a little bit when she was a 6/7YO first grader two years ago and then played the full season this last year at 7/8YO on a competitive 10U team. She has worked really hard at it to keep up with the older and bigger players. No regrets as she had a great time and has improved dramatically.

I'm dreading the decision at the end of this year about her moving up to 12U or not.

Apr 1, 2010
I'd let her move up to 10U, but keep her there or hold her at 12U until she naturally ages into 14U. I think 10U and 12U are the best ages to begin learning the situational awareness that she'll need going forward. The fact that her hitting coach says she would benefit from facing live pitchers makes an even stronger case for 10U.

IMO chinamigarden and laker are right. At 14U you have girls who look like adults and who may be saying and doing things you don't want your DD to experience. Once you get into the teen age groups, it's a different world.

BTW, my 14yr old freshman DD learned a LOT of interesting things from the many seniors on her HS team this fall. At least she was 14 before she got thrown in with 18 yr olds!

Jul 30, 2014
I'd let her move up to 10U, but keep her there or hold her at 12U until she naturally ages into 14U. I think 10U and 12U are the best ages to begin learning the situational awareness that she'll need going forward. The fact that her hitting coach says she would benefit from facing live pitchers makes an even stronger case for 10U.

IMO chinamigarden and laker are right. At 14U you have girls who look like adults and who may be saying and doing things you don't want your DD to experience. Once you get into the teen age groups, it's a different world.

BTW, my 14yr old freshman DD learned a LOT of interesting things from the many seniors on her HS team this fall. At least she was 14 before she got thrown in with 18 yr olds!

This is what I was thinking. I appreciate the input!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
If she can play the game at all get her into 10U, 8U has so many game limiting rules usually (coach pitch, one base on an overthrow, no stealing home, one steal per batter) that it thwarts development IMO. First year 10U is a perfect fit for any girl that can swing a bat, throw a ball, catch a ball reasonably well. My little one played 10U at 6 in fallball because it was the only option and when she played 8U in the spring it was already a waste of time so she moved back to 10s in fall and played up ever since. In hindsight I would have just had her play 10s from day one. She is a second year 10U now but has actually played 6 or 7 seasons (including fall) at the 10U level now that she is playing with girls her age she is pretty far advanced so it worked out for us.

Dec 26, 2014
I have a similar situation.. In the Fall I almost let my just turned 8 daughter play up in 10U, because she was so advanced. I elected not too, and we played 8U select/travel ball. I will tell you I don't regret keeping her in 8U because I feel she got a lot more fielding practice this way that she would have missed out on in 10U. Depending on the competition in your area, even in select tournaments in my area 10U is quite boring for fielders, due to pitching just now being introduced. Either the pitcher is sub par and walks a majority of them or she is a stud and nobody hits off her. And even when they do hit in 10U most aren't hard hits, and I feel if I would have moved her up she would have missed out defensively. With that being said for Spring rec ball she will play 10U while still 8, so she can gain some mound time she has been taking lessons for a year. She will still be playing travel/select ball on weekends with her 8U team. I found this is the best mix for us.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My DD played 3 summers at 10U Allstars, played one year of 12U, skipped her second year of 12U, and went straight to 14U TB. She was the main catcher and led the team in doubles and was top 3 in batting average this past year, which was pretty cool as she was the youngest on the team. But the main reason to move her up a year early was that she knew all the girls on the team already and it was a good fit maturity wise and physically. Now I have the choice to keep her in 14U for 3 years or push her up to 16U next year. I just want to get through this spring and summer. The jump from 8U to 10U is pretty dramatic, but that's when it starts to get real fun. Either choice, will be fine. It's not the end of the world. If your DD is having fun and progressing, that is what it is all about at this age.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom