Moving to 12U and what I need to do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2014
Atlanta
My DD is a 2004 and will be moving to 12U in the fall. She is currently our primary pitcher on an A level team, large organization. She just made her middle school team for Fall as well. We have been working on pitching at 40-43ft for about 2 months now so she would be ready and has been in pitching lessons weekly for about 2 years. My question is I want to look at other teams in our area so I don't know if I need to post something on our local softball board to start sending out feelers or just wait until tryout season starts. She will be playing with her current team until around the 2nd week of July. She also plays CF and 1B but can pretty much play any position if she is not pitching. I guess I am just a little freaked out about moving up to 12U and do I look for a strictly '04 team or look at '03-'04 teams. How much would she really play in the fall for a TB team when she is also playing for the school? I almost feel like I am trying to sell her if I start posting now but I also want to make sure I get the right fit for her next team.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I think this depends a lot on location. He in SoCal, pretty much all the tryout info goes up on Heybucket. Starting in July the tryout posts will start coming for the big August musical chairs game. Parents do not need to post anything advertising a player, we simply look at the tryout posts and try to find the right fit, call the coaches, have a chat, maybe it leads to you coming out to the tryout etc.

A couple of things about prepping a pitcher and a pitcher's parent for the move....no one gets crushed more than a first year 12U pitcher. That change from 35-40 is the biggest to make, and she is throwing a bigger ball. Add to that the fact that the second year girls have hit a growth spurt and you get a perfect recipe for little Suzy and her parents to have a reality check.

My daughter went from 10-12 Ks a game in December to watching balls sail all over the park in January when she made the move. Don't worry though, by the second year the pitchers catch up and get one season of being more dominant before they move back another 3 feet and get lit up for another year.

Nov 18, 2013
I think this depends a lot on location. He in SoCal, pretty much all the tryout info goes up on Heybucket. Starting in July the tryout posts will start coming for the big August musical chairs game. Parents do not need to post anything advertising a player, we simply look at the tryout posts and try to find the right fit, call the coaches, have a chat, maybe it leads to you coming out to the tryout etc.

A couple of things about prepping a pitcher and a pitcher's parent for the move....no one gets crushed more than a first year 12U pitcher. That change from 35-40 is the biggest to make, and she is throwing a bigger ball. Add to that the fact that the second year girls have hit a growth spurt and you get a perfect recipe for little Suzy and her parents to have a reality check.

My daughter went from 10-12 Ks a game in December to watching balls sail all over the park in January when she made the move. Don't worry though, by the second year the pitchers catch up and get one season of being more dominant before they move back another 3 feet and get lit up for another year.

That made me chuckle. You're spot on!

Oct 2, 2012
on the Field

There is lot's of truth in the above post. We made the move to 12U last fall and we have had moments where we thought this was the end of her pitching career. Their accuracy is not very good and when they do float one over the plate it's usually at batting practice speed. We are happy now to get 1-2 strikeouts a game. I coached my daughters 10U team which consisted of 03/04 players. Of course we had to leave last fall and I'm going to be honest, it has taken us a while and 3 teams later to find a good fit. I think you just have to be patient and I would not get into a hurry to find a team. See who's having tryouts and go to as many as you feel comfortable with. We are now on a 2nd year 02 team. The team has three 03 players. Although there is a big difference in size (yes girls grow at 12) the skill level is still pretty close. However, I wanted my daughter to play with better players as long as she contributed to the team. Good luck!

Apr 28, 2014
Ask a ton of questions about the team.
Beware of teams where all coaches daughters pitch. As your DD moves up to 12U circle time is really important. My DD is a very good athelete with a high motor and is fast. She tried out for 5 teams last summer and we were lucky enough to have offers from 4. It was very hard not to take an offer with the top team in our area (they are 23-2 this season) but they were upfront in sharing that they had 3 very good pitchers who happened to be the coaches daughters. They told me that they would develop my DD's pitching skills and she would get some time. Based on what I saw I would say that my DD was better than 2 of the 3 but in no way as good as the top pitcher. We chose a different team that, although not as good, presented a good chance at circle time and DD has taken over the top spot and loves the team.
We play that other team tomorrow in bracket play if we win our first game.
Hoping to see them tomorrow.
Good Luck to you and your DD!

Last edited:
May 24, 2015
GA
Mine is moving up to 10U this fall from 8U. I'm trying to prepare myself too. We're looking at 05 and 06 teams (she's an 06). She's been in pitching lessons since January, but in 8U mostly plays first and sometimes short stop. I'm expecting quite an adjustment period as she gets used to pitching, hitting off other 9 and 10 year olds, and stealing. Should be interesting!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
How much would she really play in the fall for a TB team when she is also playing for the school?

My opinion is 0 even if it is legal is your state. DD had a few players on her team that played for both, and more power to them, but it would have been too much for my DD.

If you do not have her on a Team yet, school ball is a good place to network and look for a Team.

Besides pitching her hitting is going to take a dip. Even if she can make contact that dang 12” ball does not go near as far.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD is a 2004 and will be moving to 12U in the fall. She is currently our primary pitcher on an A level team, large organization. She just made her middle school team for Fall as well. We have been working on pitching at 40-43ft for about 2 months now so she would be ready and has been in pitching lessons weekly for about 2 years. My question is I want to look at other teams in our area so I don't know if I need to post something on our local softball board to start sending out feelers or just wait until tryout season starts. She will be playing with her current team until around the 2nd week of July. She also plays CF and 1B but can pretty much play any position if she is not pitching. I guess I am just a little freaked out about moving up to 12U and do I look for a strictly '04 team or look at '03-'04 teams. How much would she really play in the fall for a TB team when she is also playing for the school? I almost feel like I am trying to sell her if I start posting now but I also want to make sure I get the right fit for her next team.

If you are looking to move to a new team - and it sounds like you are - you should be looking for potential teams she will fit on right now at tournaments and talking to their coaches and gathering intel from everyone you know on who they are. Sit amongst their parents watching - you will learn a lot as well. If your DD is truly a 10U-A #1 pitcher there will be plenty of teams you will be able to join and avoid the whole tryout BS.

The reality is for the 'good' teams, tryouts are for 2-3 spots maximum. For example I KNOW right now 7 of our players are 100% for next season. We already know 2 girls are going to join us and 1 that is likely to. Once it is becomes known after the season that we have picked up these 2-3 players and retained our core 7 - I know from experience we will pick up 1 or 2 players who we would like. If we have tryouts it might be for as few as 1 spot which we will likely fill with one of our current players unless someone spectacular turns up which would likely someone who moved into the area no one was aware of because local spectacular level players who we want will contact us directly and we know who they are so we certainly don't need a tryout for them.

I would NEVER post anything about availability of your DD.

May 10, 2013
USA
My 9yo (2005) is on a team of all 2004 birthdays and they all have to move up except her. They want her to move up, she more than holds her own, batting .618 70 at bats, and 5 tournaments to go. Wife And I are torn.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My 9yo (2005) is on a team of all 2004 birthdays and they all have to move up except her. They want her to move up, she more than holds her own, batting .618 70 at bats, and 5 tournaments to go. Wife And I are torn.

If it is going from coach pitch to kid pitch, and she is holding her own batting and fielding in 8U then go up with the team. Especially if she has a bunch of friends on the team.

If you think it would do her good to stay in 8U and dominate then stay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30