Moving to 12U and what I need to do

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
There are different ways to handle the transition.

DD 3 spent her last 10u year playing 12u rec ball, and also played 10u tournament. Messes up the pitching a little bit, so she finally had to stop pitching 12u rec ball until she was finished with 10u TB. That gave her a chance to hit some decent pitcher who were 2 years older than her, and that experience really helped her.

Dec 27, 2014
My 9yo (2005) is on a team of all 2004 birthdays and they all have to move up except her. They want her to move up, she more than holds her own, batting .618 70 at bats, and 5 tournaments to go. Wife And I are torn.

She is playing 10u girl pitch right now. She has known most of these girls for about a year. Been playing with them for about 4 months now. Loves every one on the team.

3 years at the 12u level can only help right?

Right now she bats leadoff, and plays 1B, 2B, and LF when isnt pitching. She is the 1a or 1b pitcher.

My late 2005 DD is in eerily similar situation. She really likes her teammates. Most of whom are 2004's and a couple early 2005's. Shares main pitching duties with two 2004's, each of the three kids having a different strength. This was a new team that just started up and we did not think about the collective age of the team since we had played against, and had off season workouts with many of the girls. We mostly spank first year teams we play and are competitive with 2nd year teams, but have an over all losing record against the better teams.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I think this depends a lot on location. He in SoCal, pretty much all the tryout info goes up on Heybucket. Starting in July the tryout posts will start coming for the big August musical chairs game. Parents do not need to post anything advertising a player, we simply look at the tryout posts and try to find the right fit, call the coaches, have a chat, maybe it leads to you coming out to the tryout etc.

A couple of things about prepping a pitcher and a pitcher's parent for the move....no one gets crushed more than a first year 12U pitcher. That change from 35-40 is the biggest to make, and she is throwing a bigger ball. Add to that the fact that the second year girls have hit a growth spurt and you get a perfect recipe for little Suzy and her parents to have a reality check.

My daughter went from 10-12 Ks a game in December to watching balls sail all over the park in January when she made the move. Don't worry though, by the second year the pitchers catch up and get one season of being more dominant before they move back another 3 feet and get lit up for another year.

JJ, if my dd could read this, she's say, "welcome to my world." I could post more but shouldn't. Great post!

I think this depends a lot on location. He in SoCal, pretty much all the tryout info goes up on Heybucket. Starting in July the tryout posts will start coming for the big August musical chairs game. Parents do not need to post anything advertising a player, we simply look at the tryout posts and try to find the right fit, call the coaches, have a chat, maybe it leads to you coming out to the tryout etc.

A couple of things about prepping a pitcher and a pitcher's parent for the move....no one gets crushed more than a first year 12U pitcher. That change from 35-40 is the biggest to make, and she is throwing a bigger ball. Add to that the fact that the second year girls have hit a growth spurt and you get a perfect recipe for little Suzy and her parents to have a reality check.

My daughter went from 10-12 Ks a game in December to watching balls sail all over the park in January when she made the move. Don't worry though, by the second year the pitchers catch up and get one season of being more dominant before they move back another 3 feet and get lit up for another year.

LOL soooo True.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors