Moving on to a new team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
, if you accepted a new job, and then got a better offer with more pay closer to home two days later, would you go to the first job just because you said you accepted?

you might actually, depending on the industry/profession. might have longer term consequences that outweigh the short term benefit. so it all depends. my leaning towards decommitment has more to do with the coaches behaviour. now another way to go about it might be to say I have offers to your DD and X others for one spot, first one to accept/commit gets it. this actually happens in college recruiting. but this coach sounded like they were just bluffing, and had noone equal or better waiting on your response, he was just a jerk.

Jun 8, 2019
If this were me, we'd discuss it over dinner and make the decision that was best for our daughter. If that happens to involve "de-committing" with the B team, then so be it. If the B-team coach doesn't understand that you're doing what's best for your family, then screw him.

Having said that, you get to have a parenting moment when you discuss with your daughter the importance of integrity and keeping your word. and when it's okay to change your mind after a commitment.

But let's face it, if you accepted a new job, and then got a better offer with more pay closer to home two days later, would you go to the first job just because you said you accepted? Remember - this is girls' softball. There are no enforceable contracts. Do what's best for you.
Good point. Didn't see it that way with the job situation

Jul 3, 2019
USA
It happens, though. And then parents start posting cryptic memes and things on Facebook like "there's no I in Team," etc.... to make the families who decided to try something different the next year feel like Benedict Arnold. I wouldn't automatically think horrible things about girls or parents who make that decision, but it appears that many do. People often act on emotion, not logic. There have been times where I was like, "Yeah, if I was Susie's parent, I'd leave too."
The "There's no I in team post" just happened to us recently!!! :LOL:
And as soon as our season was over, two of the affected parents unfriended me on Facebook! lol

Jun 8, 2019
Should I be upfront and tell B team coach that this offer has come up and we didn't anticipate getting an offer but it may be a better opportunity OR just wait until we make our decision.

Feb 26, 2018
I would wait until your decision is made, but at the same time don't keep him hanging for too long. Remember it's a two way street and you wouldn't want that being done to you.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
Should I be upfront and tell B team coach that this offer has come up and we didn't anticipate getting an offer but it may be a better opportunity OR just wait until we make our decision.
I definitely wouldn't tell the B coach unless you decide to go with A team. Like Fuzzy said, don't wait too long to make you decisions. Good pitchers aren't easy to find.

Be prepared for the potential playing time on team A. When my DD went to A team one year ago, it took her down several notches for a while. Always being lead off batter, #2 pitcher, to the bottom of the batting order most of the season and pitched 19 innings out of 115 games. She knew ahead of time that she wouldn't get much pitching time due to our heavy pitching, but it was part of the sacrifice of being on the best team. In the end, we have no regrets going the A route. DD still keeps up with pitching lessons for school ball, so at least she still gets to pitch sometimes. Just keep that in mind when making your decision.

Jun 8, 2019
I definitely wouldn't tell the B coach unless you decide to go with A team. Like Fuzzy said, don't wait too long to make you decisions. Good pitchers aren't easy to find.

Be prepared for the potential playing time on team A. When my DD went to A team one year ago, it took her down several notches for a while. Always being lead off batter, #2 pitcher, to the bottom of the batting order most of the season and pitched 19 innings out of 115 games. She knew ahead of time that she wouldn't get much pitching time due to our heavy pitching, but it was part of the sacrifice of being on the best team. In the end, we have no regrets going the A route. DD still keeps up with pitching lessons for school ball, so at least she still gets to pitch sometimes. Just keep that in mind when making your decision.
If that was the case, hands down would take B over A. She wants to go to a team where she pitches. But A offered pretty much the same as B. Would start as #2 at the start of the season. Would need to work hard to stay there or move up, would get catching time, and development in other positions. Also another pro: its a well known org that practices 15 minutes away from us.
I know my DD and she will work hard to be the best pitcher she can be. She loves it. So not worried in that department.

Mar 28, 2014
1st........... no need to talk to Coach B until the decision has been made.
2nd......... Coach B lost any goodwill when he changed the rules on you. After agreeing to give you a week to make a decision, he cannot ask for a decision right away without ramifications. In my opinion you are free to change your commitment to Coach A without feeling a bit of guilt, as that was the deal you agreed to in the beginning. Don't let someone else's lack of integrity (Coach B) force you into a decision you don't want to make.

Mar 26, 2019
Central Ohio
If that was the case, hands down would take B over A. She wants to go to a team where she pitches. But A offered pretty much the same as B. Would start as #2 at the start of the season. Would need to work hard to stay there or move up, would get catching time, and development in other positions. Also another pro: its a well known org that practices 15 minutes away from us.
I know my DD and she will work hard to be the best pitcher she can be. She loves it. So not worried in that department.
Surrounding your DD with amazing players will only push her all the harder to be the best that she can be. If A is offering the same playing time, I would go that route. Team B is the one that put you in this position by not giving you the time to decide that you asked for. Players change their mind on a regular basis, even mid-season sometimes. Decisions are never easy. We knew what team was right for my DD when her eyes lit up when she heard she was offered a spot on the team. What team is your DD most excited about? It will all work out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles