Moving on to a new team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2019
You can certainly do what you want, but just be aware that your name will be mud with the B team. Have you asked ALL the pertinent questions of the A team? Where will she fall in the pecking order of pitchers? Will she play a secondary position when not pitching or sit the bench? I'd rather have my kid pitch a lot on a B team than sit the bench and be backup pitcher only for an A team.
I don't want to be that family. But my husband wants A, I want B, my daughter is in between. It's really her decision. Ultimately we have always wanted A organization because they are better known to put out more college players.

She would be #2 pitcher. They want to make sure she continues to earn it throughout the season. Primarily the reason why she got on the team. Catcher as secondary position (loves to catch) and will be developed throughout the infield and outfield. Sounds exactly the same as B team offer.

Jun 8, 2019
that is why they only gave you 48 hours, they knew she was probably good enough for team "A", and they wanted her. in the end, you have to do what is best for your family, but if you committed, I think you should stay. However, I have never really gone for the pressure tactics, I would have told them, she has another tryout, we need X days, not 48 hours. response would tell you a lot about the org.

having said that, DD recently committed to a team before attending all the tryouts we had scoped out, but that was her/our decision, no pressure from team. quality organizations will understand the process, and families wanting to make certain they are making right choice.

Good points. And there is more to the story. Before we decided anything, B team reached out to me and asked if she was trying out. I said most likely but not until their last tryout date which was after A team tryouts. B team coach offered to have a private tryout and I accepted but told them that we would not be able to make a decision until the week after. B team coach said ok, no pressure. B team then gave offer on the spot at the private tryout. I told them that honestly we want to tryout for another team that was closer to us but tryout was not until Wednesday. Then B team coach proceeded to tell us that we had until Saturday to decide. Which my husband was not happy about. I understood the game that they were trying to play. But now we are in this situation.

May 6, 2015
Good points. And there is more to the story. Before we decided anything, B team reached out to me and asked if she was trying out. I said most likely but not until their last tryout date which was after A team tryouts. B team coach offered to have a private tryout and I accepted but told them that we would not be able to make a decision until the week after. B team coach said ok, no pressure. B team then gave offer on the spot at the private tryout. I told them that honestly we want to tryout for another team that was closer to us but tryout was not until Wednesday. Then B team coach proceeded to tell us that we had until Saturday to decide. Which my husband was not happy about. I understood the game that they were trying to play. But now we are in this situation.

after you had already told him you needed more time, to come back with an ultimatum is just bush league. that might justify not honoring the commitment, depends on a lot of other variables as well.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
after you had already told him you needed more time, to come back with an ultimatum is just bush league. that might justify not honoring the commitment, depends on a lot of other variables as well.

Agreed. Moving the goal posts like that is not kosher. But he'll do what he thinks he has to in order to get your DD on the team. He's now banking on you having integrity and honoring your commitment, but the integrity doesn't seem to work both ways.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Here's a "hypothetical" situation:

Say we got an offer from B team. It was our 2nd choice because we wanted an A team that was 10 to 15 minutes away from us. But B team tryout was first, A team was 6 days later. B team gives us an offer after tryouts and says we have 48 hours to decide plus they also know we were interested in this A level team.

She took the offer afraid that she wasn't going to make an A level team. We decide to tryout anyway for A team because we wanted to see what it takes to be an A level competitor (cuz she only knows C level). Also to see how she would measure up and what she would need to work on.

After tryouts, she didn't think she did well but knows she was probably one of the better pitchers. But overall didn't think she would get an offer. Well, they called us that night, said they wanted her to pitch for A team. We already made a commitment to B team but now we have the offer that we want from the A team that is a lot closer to us.

What would you do if she accepted an offer a few days ago but may not want to miss out on this opportunity?
Which team is a better fit for your DD? "A" team may not really be an "A" team. Your DD may just be an insurance policy on A team. Lots of unknown factors but lots of questions.

Jun 8, 2019
Which team is a better fit for your DD? "A" team may not really be an "A" team. Your DD may just be an insurance policy on A team. Lots of unknown factors but lots of questions.
New to this tryout situation but what do you mean by insurance policy?

May 6, 2015
New to this tryout situation but what do you mean by insurance policy?
think they mean she is number 3 say in rotation, will probably only pitch one game in pool play, etc., but ready in case #1 or #2 go down.

I know, DD turned into very expensive insurance policy ( expensive for us) at natinals, she and another girl pretty much split time behind plate the rest of the year, but she caught only 3 of 11 at nationals. coach said it was not fair to other girls when she missed so many practices (for rec games, HC was aware and supported that when we told him in early spring she was playing LL).

May 20, 2016
End of the day you are buying a product. Go where you feel your money is best spent.

Side note: don't let anyone pressure you into making decision unless they tell you your DD can play for the team for free. Last year i went to overseas after tryout season for two weeks so we didn't commit to any team prior to leaving, actually was at a tryout the day before we flew. Told all the coaches we tried out for that she'd make the decision upon our arrival back to the states. She made all 5 teams she tried out for and i received at least 5 calls while overseas telling me the "short time to commit" and " all the spots are almost filled". Couple of the teams eliminated themselves just from being annoying.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2016
Here's a "hypothetical" situation:

Say we got an offer from B team. It was our 2nd choice because we wanted an A team that was 10 to 15 minutes away from us. But B team tryout was first, A team was 6 days later. B team gives us an offer after tryouts and says we have 48 hours to decide plus they also know we were interested in this A level team.

She took the offer afraid that she wasn't going to make an A level team. We decide to tryout anyway for A team because we wanted to see what it takes to be an A level competitor (cuz she only knows C level). Also to see how she would measure up and what she would need to work on.

After tryouts, she didn't think she did well but knows she was probably one of the better pitchers. But overall didn't think she would get an offer. Well, they called us that night, said they wanted her to pitch for A team. We already made a commitment to B team but now we have the offer that we want from the A team that is a lot closer to us.

What would you do if she accepted an offer a few days ago but may not want to miss out on this opportunity?

If this were me, we'd discuss it over dinner and make the decision that was best for our daughter. If that happens to involve "de-committing" with the B team, then so be it. If the B-team coach doesn't understand that you're doing what's best for your family, then screw him.

Having said that, you get to have a parenting moment when you discuss with your daughter the importance of integrity and keeping your word. and when it's okay to change your mind after a commitment.

But let's face it, if you accepted a new job, and then got a better offer with more pay closer to home two days later, would you go to the first job just because you said you accepted? Remember - this is girls' softball. There are no enforceable contracts. Do what's best for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad