Move from NAIA to NCAA?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I just heard that my old school is moving from NAIA to NCAA (Concordia U, Portland) Some of their sports programs are nationally ranked. At last check, the women's soccer team was at #1 going into post season. Does a move like this affect their ability to contend for titles? I'd feel bad for the kids would miss out at a run for a title due to a restriction.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I'm no expert on NCAA and NAIA regulations, but I am pretty sure there is a "probationary" period where a team that moves into the NCAA is not eligible for postseason play. Just out of curiosity, what NCAA division and conference is Concordia moving into?

Here in Phoenix, we have a private school that moved from NCAA Div 2 to Division 1 this year and will not be eligible for any postseason play in any sport for 4 years.

Mar 26, 2013
According to Moving to the big leagues, they've accepted an invitation to join the Great Northwest Athletic Conference (D-II). They still have to be accepted by the NCAA.

NAIA generally has higher athletic scholarship limits than D-II, so the move to D-II will mean a reduction in scholarships if they were fully funded.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
4 years and a reduction in scholarships sounds like rough road. So then, I assume there must be some significant long term plusses to making the jump?

Jun 24, 2013
I am not sure how accurate this is and I agree about the post season. I hate it but nothing beats the post season.

"Multiple rules by the NCAA and NAIA can also deter schools from making the jump. By NAIA rule, once a school has been accepted by the NCAA the institution is eligible for only one more year of post-season play in the NAIA. Under NCAA rule any new institution joining the NCAA is put under a three-year probationary period in which they cannot participate in post-season through the NCAA. These rules can heavily affect recruiting for a university."

Article | The NAIA to NCAA

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I am not sure how accurate this is and I agree about the post season. I hate it but nothing beats the post season.

"Multiple rules by the NCAA and NAIA can also deter schools from making the jump. By NAIA rule, once a school has been accepted by the NCAA the institution is eligible for only one more year of post-season play in the NAIA. Under NCAA rule any new institution joining the NCAA is put under a three-year probationary period in which they cannot participate in post-season through the NCAA. These rules can heavily affect recruiting for a university."

Article | The NAIA to NCAA

We have had 2 former NAIA schools join the NCAA D-II conference my dd plays in. Both did as explained above.

Oct 14, 2008
Most if not all NAIA in Ohio have gone D2 in the last couple of years. Now it seems more across the country going the same route. Just curious as to why so many schools are making the jump. And in the long term can NAIA contuie to exist with that kind of mass exodus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06