More Help Please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
Mkral- first, have her throw into a net, so she doesnt have to worry about where the ball is going, only her form, then show her video of herself & someone opening well so she knows what it should look like , then tell her to exagerate the opening while throwing into the net before you let het pitch to you.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I STRONGLY...STRONGLY suggest you read the Internal Rotation link on this forum. After looking at your video many of the issues you are concerned about are symptoms that will be resolved with an understanding of the underhand throwing motion. Start there and see immediate improvement including the open issue as she will not get the arm in the right position to throw accurately to both sides of the plate unless she does open. She will feel it if she changes her delivery to what is described in the Internal Rotation link.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
Ok Mike......Me and you gotta talk.........(not literally, but on here)...........

First here are answers to your questions:

1.) Does she open enough?.........ABSOLUTELY.......Almost 90 degrees.

2.) Is she hitting HER powerline?.........ABSOLUTELY.......DEAD ON.

3.) Does she use internal rotation?.......ABSOLUTELY.......

4.) Does she land 45 degrees?.........ABSOLUTELY......

5.) Does she resist enough?.......ABSOLUTELY........But we gotta get her COM (center of mass) back just a little......

6.) Does she drag her back foot properly?........NO WAY.......we gotta fix that......

7.) Does she use her glove arm efficiently to assist in delivery......NO WAY.......we gotta fix that.......

Take a look at this clip.......

2pryc2f.gif

I've marked 2 powerlines. One at her right foot and one at her left. Note that her lead foot lands EXACTLY where it starts.......I don't know how much better she can get with that. In order for her lead foot to "hit" YOUR power line, she'd have to cross over her natural start........WE DON'T WANT THAT.........The shoulders are WIDER then that little white line on the mat. And they should be closing into release. So unless you want her to throw with her shoulders turned 90 degrees from the target, she ain't gonna hit that little white line.

The ball travels DIRECTLY over the pivot foot power line through release. AS IT SHOULD..........

And she appears to have good I/R mechanics..........

All she needs is to learn to drag and use here glove arm to better assist.

1.) Put a piece of binder paper under her pivot foot and make her drag it forward until the plant foot hits the ground......This WILL also keep her COM back a little better.

2.) Get her to pull her glove down to her thigh though release........This will assist in the timing of release and create a more symetrical mechanic........

You also might consider getting rid of that little "natural curve" by getting her slightly more "inside the ball" through release. I'd suggest a little move "inward spin work". This will increase her velocity. Then she can throw that curve when she wants to....vs. always........

DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE..........At least for now!

EDIT: After a second look, it appears the catcher is lined up far OUTSIDE the white line. Maybe she's trying to throw curve on the pitch? Or just outside? If that's the case she certainly is hitting her spot.....!

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
BM, my daughter is going to love you for the above, even though your statements (if I am interpreting it correctly)is contrary to many books and articles I've read while trying to learn. It does make sense. Have I been having my daughter overrotate in order for her to land on the stride line?

Do you recommend that the drag foot be pulled inline toward the stride foot? I hope that makes sense.

I can hardly wait to come home from work (lunch now) and read more. Thanks

Last edited:
May 11, 2009
BM, THANK YOU!
Chelsea thanks you. We will work on these things and go from there.
Also you are seeing it right. She has that natural curve. I have been telling her I did not think she was getting behind the ball and that was where it was coming from. We will work on wrist and spin more. We are waiting on a Tightspin Trainer.

Thanks again!!

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma